About our programs

What is the difference between the Clinical Psychology and Experimental and Applied Psychology (EAP) graduate programs?

Students interested in psychology research who also wish to become trained in the assessment and treatment of psychological disorders should apply to the Clinical program. Students interested in psychology research who do not wish to train as clinicians should apply to the Experimental and Applied Psychology (EAP) graduate program. Please note that students in the EAP program receive no clinical training and will not be qualified to work as practicing psychologists upon completion of the program.

Is your Clinical Psychology program accredited?

Our Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program is accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association. Programs receiving CPA accreditation must adhere to very strict requirements, and are reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure these standards are met. Please visit the CPA website for details on accreditation standards. Our Clinical Psychology M.A. and Ph.D. degrees satisfy one of the requirements for becoming registered with the Saskatchewan College of Psychologists, and meet the educational requirement for registration with similar bodies throughout Canada and abroad.

Can I complete my graduate program part-time?

Students in both the Clinical and EAP graduate programs must maintain continuous full-time registration in our programs. Students in the Clinical program are restricted from working more than 20 hours per week outside of their program (note: students receiving external funding may be subject to a lower maximum) and must be available to attend classes, meet with their supervisors, and complete practica during regular daytime work hours. There is no restriction on outside work hours in the EAP program; however, students should note that they will be required to be available to attend classes and meet with their thesis supervisors during regular daytime work hours. Psychology graduate courses are not typically taught in evenings, on weekends, or online.

How long does it take to complete your programs?

The typical completion time is 2-3 years for the M.A. and an additional 3-4 years for the Ph.D. Program requirements can be viewed at the links below

Clinical MA Clinical Ph.D. EAP M.A. and Ph.D.

Do you have an accelerated Ph.D. program?

Admission into our Ph.D. program requires completion of a Master's degree in psychology. We do not have an accelerated or "fast-track" option in either of our Ph.D. programs. However, if you have completed a Master's thesis or relevant coursework at another institution, you can - in consultation with your supervisor and the Graduate Program Coordinator - apply for advanced standing (credit) for the work you have completed, which will reduce the time needed to complete the M.A. degree.

Does your department offer a counselling psychology program?

Our department does not offer a counseling psychology program. A Master's of Education degree program that includes a counselling practicum is available through the University of Regina's Faculty of Education. For a listing of similar programs offered in Canadian universities, please visit the website of the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association.

How much is the cost of tuition and fees for your graduate programs?

Details about tuition and fees can be found here.

Is funding available for graduate students?

Funding is available through scholarships, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships/stipends provided by individual supervisors. Most of our students are successful in securing funding from external sources, such as the funding tri-council. Students who are guaranteed funding will be notified of the details of this funding in their offer of admission.