Safely back on campus. Learn More.

Dropping Classes

If you decide that a class isn't for you, it is important that you officially apply to withdraw your registration in the class. You will not be dropped from a class simply because you stop attending. Unless you officially withdraw from the class, you'll be charged the full tuition and receive a grade of NP ("not passed", equivalent to 40%), even if you didn't show up for a single class. If you don't officially withdraw from a class the University has no way of knowing that you've planned to stop attending and can't make the opening available to other students.

Every academic year the University posts a schedule of deadlines for withdrawing from classes. If you withdraw early in the semester you can obtain a full or partial refund. You can drop a course as late as a few weeks before the semester ends. While you won't get any money back in this case, you'll receive a grade of W ("Withdrawal") instead of an NP. A grade of W means that the course won't have any impact of your academic record.

If you withdraw from a course after the deadline for a tuition refund and have done so for medical or compassionate circumstances beyond your control, you may still be entitled to a refund. See the Undergraduate Calendar for information on Medical or Compassionate Withdrawals. You can use the Application for Adjustment of Fees/Grades form to request an adjustment to your fees when you are withdrawing after the deadline for a refund.

In exceptional circumstances you may also be eligible to withdraw from an entire semester of classes after the semester has ended. See the Undergraduate Calendar for guidelines on Retroactive Withdrawals. For either kind of withdrawal, if the grounds for your withdrawal are medical you will also need to submit a Student Medical Certificate.

These and other forms are available for download/print from the Registrar's Office.