Unauthorized Sharing of Faculty Owned Materials

Faculty-owned Materials - FAQ


Who owns the teaching materials I create at the U of R?
Under the Collective Agreement with URFA, faculty members are generally the copyright owners of the teaching materials they create at the University of Regina. Ownership can, however, be affected by University contracts, agreements with industry sponsors, and the contributions of joint authors. For further information about ownership of Traditional Academic Works, please consult the URFA Collective Agreement.


What can I do if a student uploads my teaching materials on a public website without my permission?

This may constitute a violation of your intellectual property rights.

There are several options that, depending on the particular circumstances and whether the student’s identity is known, may be available to you:

· You may decide to pursue informal discussion with the student(s) involved.

· You may discuss with your Associate Dean whether this behaviour might warrant an investigation of potential academic misconduct, especially in the case of posted assignment or examination materials.

· You may issue a notice to the website to remove the infringing material and/or notify the infringing poster.

How can I give permission to my students to use or upload my material online?

If you wish to give students your permission to share your materials online, you may do so either on a case-by-case basis upon their request, or grant blanket permission to your students through use of an open copyright license such as Creative Commons.

Creative Commons offers a number of open copyright licences that give advance permission within certain restrictions. For instance, the “CC-BY” licence, the most permissive licence, only requires that users give appropriate credit to the creator. The “CC-BY-NC-SA” licence not only requires credit be given, but also prohibits commercial use of your work, and requires that any derivative work be shared alike under an equally permissive Creative Commons licence.

For more information about giving permission or open access, please contact copyright@uregina.ca, or visit the Creative Commons website.

What can I do if a student posts their notes, assignments, or course summaries that contain information taught in my course, or information contained in my teaching materials?

Students at the University of Regina own their own notes, summaries, assignments, and all other course work they create themselves. This ownership includes all of the intellectual property rights (particularly copyright) in these works. Copyright law does not protect facts or information, per se. If a student has not reproduced a substantial portion of your actual work, then the student generally has the right to post their own work, even if it is a summary that contains information from your course materials or lessons.

How can I inform students about my intellectual property?

Although notice, such as use of a copyright symbol “©”, is not legally required to gain protection for your work under the Canadian Copyright Act, it is generally good practice to note your ownership of materials on all handouts, slides, tests, and exams etc. that you create. It is also recommended that you notify students on the course syllabus if you do not wish them to share your work online.

Recommended message for course syllabi:


All slides, presentations, handouts, tests, exams, and other course materials created by the instructor in this course are the intellectual property of the instructor. A student who publicly posts or sells an instructor’s work, without the instructor’s express consent, may also face adverse legal consequences for infringement of intellectual property rights.

Copyright notice for individual materials:


© [year]

This work is the intellectual property of the instructor (unless otherwise noted), and is protected by law. Unless a users’ right in Canada’s Copyright Act covers the particular use, students must not publish, post on a public Internet site, sell, rent, or otherwise distribute this work without the instructor’s express permission.

How do I give notice to a website that is hosting material that infringes my copyright?

Brock University's copyright website has template messages that are helpful for contacting Canadian, US and international websites."

Please note that only the copyright owner can submit these types of requests.

This document has been adapted with permission from Brock University’s “Faculty-owned Materials”.