JUNE HIGHLIGHTS: In June 1975, a committee was established to look into setting up a School of Journalism

By Dale Johnson Posted: June 22, 2018 10:45 a.m.

New artwork is put on display in the Classroom Building in June 1972, including this ceramic mural created by the late Jack Sures.
New artwork is put on display in the Classroom Building in June 1972, including this ceramic mural created by the late Jack Sures. Photo: U of R Photography

Among the historical highlights at the University of Regina and its forerunners during the month of June:

1933:  Regina College announces plans for a new course that combines academic training with cultural or vocational studies, through arrangements with Balfour Technical School and the Commercial High School. “Students who wish to take a somewhat broader course than the straight academic work, may register at the college and take the greater part of their studies there, but may also spend a part of their time at one of the above-mentioned schools in the study either of tractor engineering, drafting, woodworking, electrical work or a study of business subjects,” the Leader-Post newspaper reports.

1967:  The school of administration at Regina Campus concludes its first year of operation with 150 students, five full-time faculty members, two part-time staff, and two special lecturers. (In Winter 2018, there were 1,514 students, 40 faculty members, and 21 staff members.) “Administration is the second professional program at Regina Campus. Education was the first, and one other professional program, engineering, has also been included,” says the Leader-Post.  

1972:  New artwork is being put on display in the Classroom Building, the first project of the principal’s fine arts advisory committee. “At a cost of more than $29,000 to the province and four years in the planning and selection stages, sculptures, murals, paintings, and tapestries are currently being installed,” the Leader-Post reports.

1975:  The University of Regina sets up a committee to look into the possibility of establishing a school of journalism. The committee will be chaired by Reid Robinson, dean of arts, and it will include staff members who are former journalists and representatives of the various media. “If such a school is set up, it will be the only university-based journalism program in Western Canada,” the Leader-Post reports. “Press and broadcasting firms in Canada now want people with training to explain a world which is becoming ever more complex,” the newspaper added.

1976:  An annual wage increase of 9.89 per cent for members of faculty is approved. As well, tuition fees will increase by 14.8 per cent per semester for first year students and 11.4 per cent for other students. (According to Statistics Canada, the annual inflation rate in June 1976 was 7.99 per cent. Advertisements of the day show daily interest accounts paying 8.0 per cent annually and five-year guaranteed investment certificates paying 10.75 per cent annually.)

1977:  Lyn Goldman is appointed communications and programming officer with the department of extension at the University of Regina. She will also be involved in arranging non-credit classes, seminars and workshops in communications and community programming. Previously, Goldman had been director of publicity and public relations for Regina Campus from 1968 to 1972. (Dr. Goldman retired in 1990 after serving as Public Relations Director and later as Head of Certificate Programs at University Extension. Goldman is an active supporter of the U of R to this day.)

Related stories:

JUNE HIGHLIGHTS: Remembering when the successful co-op program was launched

When College Avenue Campus was really home sweet home – and not just for students

FLASHBACK: When Regina College opened the first women’s residence in March 1916