Dr John Archer Library History

The Archer Library can trace its origins back to the early part of the twentieth century as a small, unorganized collection of books for Regina College, a residential high school opened by the Methodist Church in 1911. First organized according to the Dewey Decimal System in 1921, it was later converted to the Library of Congress system in 1935, with the assistance of the Carnegie Corporation. From 1912 to 1959 the collection was housed in the College Building on College Avenue. The Library underwent a rapid expansion in the 1960’s following the transformation of Regina College into the Regina Campus of the University of Saskatchewan, effectively doubling its holdings in five years. In 1974 the University of Regina was established as an independent institution; by then, the Library had moved into its present location, though it was not until 2004 that Library collections and services occupied the building in its entirety. At that time, a significant change occurred with the merge of the Education/Fine Arts branch library into the main collection.

Compiled by Peter Resch May 26, 2011