Staying Safe on Campus
University of Regina

Vaccination Information

In response to the Government of Saskatchewan’s recently announced plans to end all provincial public health orders, the University of Regina has announced its updated masking, proof of vaccination, and testing policies.

The University of Regina has fully returned to in-person courses and operations.

The University continues to prioritize the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff, and broader community. As such, the University continues to require that all students, faculty, and staff provide proof of full vaccination.

Students, faculty, and staff who are not fully vaccinated for any reason, or who choose not to disclose their vaccination status, will be required to self-administer regular, rapid antigen testing and submit ongoing negative test results to attend any University of Regina campus in person.

How to Provide Your Proof of Vaccination

All students, faculty, and staff must declare their status by accessing their account on UR Self-Service. Log-in with your University credentials (student or employee ID# and password) and select the Vaccination Declaration option where you will be able to follow the instructions to upload your government-issued, COVID-19 immunization record as proof of vaccination. UR Self-Service can also be accessed from the tab at the top of the University of Regina website homepage.

All students, faculty, and staff must complete the Declaration, except for who have already provided proof of full vaccination for the Fall term and received confirmation that their declaration was successful (i.e.: UR Self-Service status reads “vaccinated: documents accepted”).

Note: If, for any reason, you are unable to complete the Declaration (e.g. unique, individual circumstances that are not addressed in the form), please direct your questions via email to

Acceptable Vaccination Documentation

  • Your Saskatchewan eHealth Covid-19 vaccination record. The process for obtaining your proof of immunization can be accessed at Saskatchewan - Proof of COVID Vaccination. If you are submitting your eHealth record, please ensure it is your Covid-19 vaccination record only.
  • Your out-of-province government-issued vaccination record. Please ensure it is your Covid-19 vaccination record only. For more information see the Government of Canada’s COVID-19: Proof of vaccination in Canada and for international travel or contact the Public Health Unit in that area for further guidance on how to obtain your official COVID vaccination/immunization record.
  • QR (Quick Response) Digital Codes. Only QR codes issued by Canadian provinces that also offer access to scanning/viewing software will be accepted (e.g. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba, etc.)
  • Wallet-sized cards issued at your vaccination appointment(s) may be accepted as proof of vaccination. However, official, government-issued immunization records are the preferred form of documentation. Those who submit their wallet-sized cards are asked to re-submit with their official immunization record once it becomes available. Wallet card submissions will be subject to close scrutiny and anyone found to be falsifying documents will be subject to consequences.
  • Your international government-issued documentation is accepted as long as it verifies receiving a Health Canada authorized vaccine. If your documentation is in another language, please provide an English translation and upload both the original document and the translation. Consult with your local healthcare provider, or with Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) Public Health, if you have questions. Health Canada also provides guidance for those who are partially or fully vaccinated with a non-Health Canada approved vaccine.

Notes: Your proof of vaccination document will be accepted in PDF or JPEG formats only. Only a single document can be submitted at a time so multiple pages should be combined into a single document.

Any technical difficulties/questions should be directed to the IT Support Centre.

Privacy and Security

Your vaccination and/or testing status and documentation is kept confidential and only a very limited number of staff will have access to it. In collecting this information the University assumes the responsibility to protect it, keep it confidential and only use it for the purposes for which it is intended.

The University has established processes to ensure that faculty, staff and students’ private information, including personal health information, is protected in accordance with The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (LAFOIPOP) and The Health Information Protection Act (HIPA).

The information will only be retained as long as necessary to support vaccination reporting and other statutory requirements.


The University will issue clear communications directly to those individuals who do not follow the requirements. Those communications will outline consequences for non-compliance.

Visitors to Campus (including Contractors, Suppliers, Tenants, etc.)

This information has moved to the Return to Campus webpage.

Proof of Vaccination FAQs

If I am studying/working remotely and won’t be visiting the U of R campuses, do I still need to complete the declaration and submit proof of vaccination?

If you are studying remotely and will not be visiting a U of R or federated college campus, you will still need to log-in to UR Self-Service and complete your vaccination declaration.

If at any time your status changes and you will need to visit campus for any reason, you will need to re-submit your declaration indicating as such and either provide proof of vaccination or regular, negative rapid antigen test results.

I submitted a declaration in the Fall 2021 term, do I need to re-submit for Winter 2022?

All faculty, staff and students (including those studying or working remotely) must make an official vaccination declaration related to Winter 2022 by accessing their account on UR Self-Service by December 1, 2021.

The only exception to this is faculty, staff and students who have already provided proof of full vaccination for the Fall term and received confirmation that their declaration was successful (i.e.: UR Self-Service status reads “vaccinated: documents accepted”).

Faculty, staff and students who are currently enrolled in the rapid antigen testing program or have identified as fully remote in Fall 2021 are required to re-submit their declaration.

Why is the University making vaccination (or regular, rapid testing) a requirement?

Statistics show that vaccines are one of the most important and effective forms of intervention in reducing the transmission and effect of COVID-19. As such, the University is implementing vaccine requirements for all students, faculty, and staff. With the return of many in-person courses, events, and activities, members of our campus community have the right to come to learn and teach in the safest environment possible.

Students, faculty, and staff who are not fully vaccinated, and those who would prefer not to disclose their vaccine status, will need to regularly complete a rapid screening test and receive a negative result before they participate in in-person activities.

Which vaccine(s) are required/approved?

The University of Regina will accept any vaccines that are authorized by Health Canada, which as of November 30, 2021, includes the following vaccines:

  • Comirnaty (Pfizer)
  • SpikeVax (Moderna)
  • Vaxzevria or COVISHIELD (AstraZeneca)
  • Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)
  • Sinopharm
  • Sinovac

Please note that while Health Canada is expanding their list of approved COVID-19 vaccines to include Sinopharm, Sinovac, and COVAXIN effective November 30, the University of Regina is accepting these vaccines effective immediately.

The Government of Canada recommends one additional dose of an mRNA vaccine for those who have had a complete or incomplete course/series of a non-Health Canada authorized vaccine. If you have received a vaccine that is not listed above,  the University is requiring proof of an additional dose of an mRNA vaccine in order to be considered fully vaccinated. Those who are awaiting their third dose of the vaccine will be required to participate in regular, rapid antigen testing.

What do I do if I have two doses of a non-Health Canada approved vaccine?

If you have received two doses of a non-Health Canada approved vaccine, then you need to enter into the rapid antigen testing program at the U of R until you receive a dose of a Health Canada approved mRNA vaccine (Comirnaty (Pfizer) or SpikeVax (Moderna).

Once you have received a dose of a Health Canada approved mRNA vaccine and following the required 14-day waiting period, you will be considered fully vaccinated. You will then need to submit your Government of Saskatchewan proof of vaccination to your U of R declaration showing you have received one dose of a Health Canada approved mRNA vaccine. The University is holding regular immunization clinics and vaccines are also available at participating pharmacies and Saskatchewan Health Authority pop-up clinics

Please refer to the Government of Canada's website for information on quarantine policies for international travelers who do not have a Health Canada-approved vaccine.

International students requiring further information or assistance can contact UR International.

If I had COVID-19 and recovered, do I still need to get vaccinated?

Yes, students, faculty, and staff who have tested positive for COVID-19 are still required to provide proof of full vaccination or regular, negative rapid antigen test results.

What is the definition of being fully vaccinated?

People are considered to be fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving (i) a second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine in a two-dose series, such as the Comirnaty (Pfizer), SpikeVax (Moderna), Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca), Sinopharm, Sinovac, or COVAXIN vaccines; or (ii) a single dose of an approved one-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g. Janssen)

If you are unvaccinated:

Get vaccinated with a Health Canada-approved vaccine. The University is holding regular immunization clinics and vaccines are also available at participating pharmacies and Saskatchewan Health Authority pop-up clinics.

If you have one dose of a Health Canada-approved two-dose vaccine such as the Comirnaty (Pfizer), SpikeVax (Moderna), Vaxzevria (AstraZenica), Sinopharm, Sinovac, or COVAXIN vaccines:

Get your second dose of a Health Canada-approved vaccine.

If you have received one dose of the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine:

No further vaccination required.

If you have received two doses of a Health Canada-approved vaccine such as the Comirnaty (Pfizer), SpikeVax (Moderna), Vaxzevria (AstraZenica), Sinopharm, Sinovac, or COVAXIN vaccines:

No further vaccination required. 

What if I am fully vaccinated, but my e-health account/immunization record has not yet been updated to reflect that?

Contact eHealth Saskatchewan (or your local Public Health Unit if you’re from outside of Saskatchewan) as soon as possible to try and have your immunization record updated so that you can submit your Vaccination Declaration through the portal as soon as possible.

You should also advise the University of your status by sending us an email at explaining your situation and it will be directed appropriately for further assistance as required.

Where can I get vaccinated? Am I able to get vaccinated on campus?

Vaccination clinics and appointments are readily available. All the information students need to book an appointment or locate a clinic can be found at COVID-19 Vaccine. Additionally, the University of Regina continues to host pop-up, on-campus, vaccination clinics for our faculty, staff, students, and their immediate family members. Students should watch their email inbox and keep an eye on the U of R’s social media channels for dates and times.

What if I cannot be vaccinated?

If you cannot be vaccinated you are required to provide regular evidence of negative COVID-19 tests starting January 4, 2022. The University is requiring faculty, staff and students to:

  • Provide results of a negative rapid antigen or PCR COVID-19 test administered by a reputable testing site or lab three times a week on a set Labs in Regina and elsewhere in Saskatchewan that administer tests can be found on the Government of Saskatchewan website at: Labs Offering Testing Services. Lab-reported results from self-administered tests will not be accepted.
  • Regularly upload test results to UR Self-Service.

Testing must be done outside of work / study hours and at the individual’s own expense. The University will not:

  1. provide testing,
  2. cover the costs of such tests, or
  3. provide time off to accommodate testing

The University will provide more information related to this process prior to the Winter 2022 semester.

Are there exemptions to the mandatory vaccination requirements?

The University understands its duty to accommodate individuals on grounds that are protected under The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code. The University will continue to consider accommodations requests in accordance with the requirements of the Code.

Further inquiries regarding accommodations must be directed to the University's Healthy Workplace Advisor (

Please note that all faculty, staff, and students must provide a Vaccination Declaration, and, where applicable, an accommodation request, before December 1, 2021.

What do I do if I am getting an error message when uploading a PDF/JPEG to the Vaccination Declaration Portal?

Please ensure that the browser you are using is either Google Chrome or Firefox. Some users reported success when they attempted to upload using a different browser.

If that doesn't work, clear your cache and cookies on the browser you are using (open browser> go to browser settings>go to Privacy & Security>delete cookies). So, you can try different browsers in such case.

If problems persist after trying different browsers and making sure it's in pdf/jpeg format, please contact and someone will assist you.

Rapid Antigen Testing FAQs

Regular, Rapid Antigen Testing (Winter 2022)

Effective February 14, the small number of individuals on campus who are unvaccinated/undeclared can submit self-administered rapid antigen test results three times per week by uploading a photo of your self-administered rapid antigen test result to the vaccination portal. Rapid antigen test kits are free and available at various locations throughout the community, as well as on the main campus at the Campus Security Office in the RIC building.

With the temporary shift to remote teaching, learning, and working to begin the Winter 2022 term, if you will be working or studying remotely and not attending campus for any reason, you will not be required to submit negative rapid antigen test results until the University returns to regular operations.  You will be informed via email regarding the first required submission date.

To opt out of the “External Testing” program, at any time, you may choose vaccination and resubmit a revised vaccination declaration along with your official government-issued proof of vaccination documents through the UR Self-Service Vaccination Declaration. An individual will be considered fully vaccinated once fourteen days have elapsed following the last required dose in a vaccine sequence (i.e. a second dose of a two dose sequence) of Health Canada approved vaccinations has been administered. If you will not be attending any University of Regina campus in-person in Winter 2022 you may declare this in the Vaccination Declaration (note that this declaration status restricts registration in in-person courses).

Proof of External Testing document submissions will be treated with sensitivity and confidentiality. These documents will be reviewed by a select group of individuals tasked with verifying the accuracy and completeness of all submitted proof of vaccination and proof of testing documents.

By selecting regular testing in the declaration portal, you are confirming your understanding of and agreeing to be subject to these requirements, your obligations, consequences for non-compliance, and enrolment in the “External Testing” program. Your access to the UR Self-Service Testing Submission Portal will be activated on January 4, 2022 and your first proof of testing documents must be uploaded that same day.

You are also acknowledging and consenting to the on-going use and disclosure of your personal health information (namely, vaccination status and laboratory test results) as described above for the duration of the submission schedule.

What is the process to upload rapid antigen test results?

Access to the UR Self-Service Testing Submission Portal will be activated on January 4, 2022. Sign in to UR Self-Service (student or employee ID# and password) to upload your first proof of testing documents that same day.

The continuing schedule for submitting evidence of external testing is every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday by 11:59 p.m. For students, the requirement is in place between January 4, 2022 and April 11, 2022. For faculty and staff, the requirement is ongoing beginning January 4, 2022.  

The submission schedule is fixed and required regardless of an individual’s actual access to campus. The submission portal is automated – late submissions will not be considered and may result in warnings or consequences for non-compliance.

What does the rapid antigen test result need to contain to be in compliance with the University’s requirements?

Those in the testing program are required to take a photo of their test result and upload it through UR Self-Service.

Test results should be submitted in .JPG format with the test date clearly written on the testing device against a piece of paper with your first and last name written on it.



If you choose to submit an externally administered test, you may do so.

Do I need to submit test results on statutory holidays?

No submission of test results are required on the following University holidays:

  • February 21 (Family Day)
  • April 15, 2022 (Good Friday)
  • For students only – no submission of test results are required February 21-25, 2022 (Winter Reading Week)

If you intend to access campus spaces on any of these exempted "holiday" dates, you are encouraged to continue your regular testing routine and submit your test results as usual, even when they are not required.

Students who have questions about testing processes, frequency, etc. should email

Faculty and staff members who have questions about testing processes, frequency, etc. or need to report an approved absence (e.g.: scheduled holidays) of 5 days or longer, should email

What happens if I test positive for COVID?

Individuals who test positive must report the result to Health, Safety & Wellness ( 306-337-2370) AND self-manage as per provincial government guidelines. Those who test positive will also be required to leave campus immediately and not return until their five-day isolation period is over and their symptoms have improved for more than 48 hours and they have no fever without the use of fever reducing medications (whichever comes later). Students who may be required to self-isolate and are therefore unable to attend in-person classes are encouraged to contact their instructors to make alternate arrangements.

General FAQs

Can I choose to switch to exclusively remote classes instead of submitting to the vaccine requirement or regular testing? What about faculty or students who are doing all their teaching/learning remotely?

Students may choose to study remotely, however, course options may be limited as many courses will be delivered in-person in the Winter 2022 term.

Regardless of how courses are delivered, all faculty, staff and students need to log-in to UR Self-Service and complete a vaccination declaration.

What other health and safety protocols will be in place?

Masks are currently required in all public spaces on campus, including classrooms, laboratories, libraries, etc. Physical distancing, sanitization and self-health checks are also required on campus premises.

The University continues to monitor the pandemic’s progress and will respond to Saskatchewan Health Authority’s public health protocols and other information and circumstances as they develop.