Welcome back! Find out about COVID-19, vaccinations, and returning to campus in Fall 2021. Learn more.


Why study Spanish? Many Canadian immigrants are Spanish-speaking and it is the second language spoken in the US. As well, it is the main language spoken in 21 other countries in the world, ranging geographically from Spain to Cuba, Mexico to Argentina. A wish to travel while deepening personal and cultural experiences, a love of salsa or flamenco music, an interest in the art of Picasso or Kahlo, a desire to read authors such as Miguel Cervantes or Isabel Allende—these are just a few of the reasons one might study Spanish. A knowledge of Spanish language and Hispanic cultures will enhance employment opportunities in any field, as well as opening doors to rich personal experiences; speaking a second language is an asset to a career in teaching, diplomatic or community development work, tourism, international business or journalism.

Program Options
The department offers a Certificate in Spanish Language and Hispanic Cultures. This certificate is designed to give students a foundational understanding of Hispanic cultures and Spanish language. The certificate is flexible enough to fit around a major in another program, or if you are interested in completing the certificate on its own, it can be completed in two or three years of part-time study. The certificate includes ENGL 100, four Spanish language courses, one Spanish content course (e.g., a course on film, literature, etc.), and four approved electives.

Details of this new certificate are available in the Undergraduate Calendar.


Spanish Awards: Continuing Spanish students at all levels are eligible for financial awards. Search for "Spanish" in SAMS to see the criteria for these awards.

Placement testing: U of R students who have some Spanish experience should contact Li McLeod for assessment and class placement (credit classes only) prior to registering in a Spanish class.

International Study: Students who wish to receive credit for Spanish courses taken abroad should consult the department for approval prior to taking the courses.

Li McLeod
Ranka Minic-Vidovic