Common Research Expenses

This page provides detailed information on the following common research expenses and how to make reimbursement claims:


Who Conducts Renovations?

Facilities Management initiates and manages all new construction and renovation projects. This includes the selection, contracting, and management of all external design consultants, general contractors, sub-contractors, and suppliers.

The Facilities Management Project Manager will determine the purchasing format for both design and construction services to best suit the nature of the work, current market conditions, and the requirements and constraints of the Client (i.e., the researcher - usually the Principle Investigator).

The cost of projects that are deemed “chargeable” is recovered from the initiating Department. There are a number of project costs that faculties and departments must pay that are related to every project. These costs are actual expenses incurred in the design and delivery of the project; the client is entitled to any cost under run or unused contingency. Examples of these costs are as follows:

  • Construction Costs: Construction costs include the labour, material, equipment, and contractor work required to complete the actual work. These costs typically originate from multiple sources:
    • External general contractor and trade contractors who have been contracted by Facilities Management to carry out work on the project. Invoices are received from these companies and are an integral part of the construction costs.
    • Facilities Management trades employees such as electricians, carpenters, plumbers, and other trades required to carry out work to complete the project or to coordinate work with the contractors. Time and material usage is tracked and charged to the project at the rates given under Chargeable Labour Rates
  • Design Costs: The cost of design work required to confirm client requirements and provide contract documents is a project expense. External design firms are normally contracted to provide these services, and they bill Facilities Management for their time and disbursements. Each project will pay the actual costs of these services. When Facilities Management design staff provides design for chargeable projects, the costs of that service will be charged to the project. During the preliminary phases of projects, budgeting for design services will be based on an industry standard percentage as the most accurate form of estimating. For a typical interior renovation project, the design expense is usually 12-15% of the total project cost. The amount ultimately billed to the Project will be the direct expense incurred (consultant and in-house designers) without any mark-up.
  • Contingency: Contingency funds are always included in projects and vary relative to the information available at the time of budgeting. In the preliminary stages of a project where little information is available, the contingency will typically be 25% of design and construction costs. When working drawings are complete and the tender is being prepared, the contingency is about 15%. Once all the work is tendered, the construction contingency can be reduced to 3-5% of the known construction and design costs. The contingency amount is an estimate for budgeting purposes only. Only actual costs will be charged to the project.
  • Project Management and Costs: Management of projects is required to ensure quality, schedule, and costs are in line with the objectives of the project and the client’s expectations. For all projects, a Facilities Management Project Manager will be assigned to lead the design and construction work. Project Management fees are not applied to operating capital projects.

For the purposes of construction and renovation, a project consists of the following characteristics:

  • Performed by people
  • Constrained by limited resources
  • Temporary
  • Planned, executed, and controlled
  • Produces a unique product or service

For more information, please contact Facilities Management.


Construction Tendering

View Supply Management Services' Tendering page for information on tendering policies and procedures. Also see the following construction/tendering policies:


Space Allocation

Space requests or requests for change of use for existing space are made directly to Facilities Management (see Space Allocation and Renovations under FM's Contact Us). The planning team collaborates with the client to review goals and objectives and create scenarios that optimize space efficiency, consolidation, and budget. This process must consider an accurate appraisal of space usage; chemical, flammable, and radiation containment and management; OH & S compliance; security; intellectual property protection; essential power requirements, and off-site alarm management. The application for space must also identify the duration of funding and research effort. After review and possible enhancement of the proposed scenario(s), the proposal is presented to the Space Allocation Committee (SAC) for a final decision.

The following principles are used as a guideline in administering space allocation:

  • All space is owned by the University and assigned for a definite or indefinite period of time to academic or administrative units.
  • The University has the sole responsibility to allocate space.
  • Space must be allocated equitably among users.
  • Space must be used effectively.
  • The Facilities Management Department collects data on requirements, determines the needs, assesses competing interests, builds consensus where possible, and provides recommendations on the allocation of space.


Ownership of University Research Facilities

The ownership of equipment and facilities purchased with Tri-Council grant funds adheres to the guidelines set out in the Tri-Council "Agreement on the Administration of Agency Grants and Awards by Research Institutions".



Policies Related to Purchasing Research Equipment

The following policies are relevant to purchasing Research Equipment:

Supply Management Services provides information on the following on their website:


Purchasing Computers, Software, Equipment; Hotel and Vehicle Rentals; Courier Rates 

Supply Management Services have developed a protected site for faculty and staff to view negotiated rates with suppliers, such as software rates, evergreen computer rates (see Evergreen Program), hotel rates, vehicle rentals, and courier rates.

Researchers should contact Supply Management Services for assistance with making these types of purchases.


University Purchasing-Related Contracts

Supply Management Services develops and maintains a number of contracts relevant to purchasing of equipment. View the Supply Management Services Contracts page for information on common university-wide contracts.

For any other contract or contract-related questions, please contact Supply Management Services for clarification.


Ownership of Research Equipment

The ownership of equipment and facilities purchased with Tri-Council grant funds must adhere to the guidelines set out in the “Tri-Council Agreement on the Administration of Agency Grants and Awards by Research Institutions”.


Fixed Assets 

The University has a number of policies and procedures regarding purchase, management, and disposal of University assets, including computers and research equipment. View Financial Services' Fixed Assets page for more information.

University Property Insurance

The Financial Services Insurance page provides a summary of the insurance coverage at the University of Regina.


Chemicals and Hazardous or Biological Materials

Ordering and Receiving Controlled Products (Chemicals)

Controlled products can only be ordered by authorized faculty and staff through the University Science Stores or Facilities Management Stores (Shipper/Receiver). Persons receiving or transporting dangerous goods must hold a valid Transport of Dangerous Goods (TDG) certificate of training (see Health, Safety, and Environment's Biosafety Program for information on TDG certification).


Ordering and Receiving Radioactive Materials

If and only if they meet and follow the requirements of the procedures for Ordering Radioactive Material and Receiving Radioactive Material, including receiving permission in writing from the Radiation Safety Officer, may Radioactive Material Permit Holders order any permitted radioactive material from any supplier and in any form consistent with their Permit. Information on ordering and receiving radioactive material and becoming a permit holder can be found in the Radioactive Material Permit Holder Guide. The guide also contains information on becoming a permit holder.


Ordering and Receiving Biohazardous Materials

Biohazardous materials (Risk Group 2 and above) can only be ordered by authorized faculty and staff through the University Science Store, if and only if they follow and meet the requirements of the procedures for Ordering and Receiving Biologically Hazardous Substances (see Ordering & Receiving Biological Substances). Persons receiving or transporting dangerous goods must hold a valid Transport of Dangerous Goods (TDG) certificate of training (see Health, Safety, and Environment's Biosafety Program for information on TDG certification).


Salaries, Wages, and Stipends

Salaries and Wages

Salaries and wages for students and research assistants are common expenses in grants and contracts. Salaries and wages must conform to the appropriate Employment Agreement:

  • CUPE 2419 Collective Agreement for student research assistants
  • Some larger research program grants and/or contracts might enable hiring of research support staff; depending on the job duties, salaries or wages for administrative and technical support staff will be governed either by the CUPE 5791 or APT Collective Agreements. Consult Human Resources for information on position classification

Note that in addition to base wages or salaries and vacation pay, benefit deductions and other payroll deductions will be deducted from student and research employee salaries and are paid from research funding. Therefore, these should be considered when developing research budgets. Consult the Office of Research Services or Human Resources for more information. Not all sponsors will permit the inclusion of employee benefits as research expenses. 



Student stipend amounts should conform to any limits set by the sponsor and to minimum guaranteed amounts set by your faculty or department. Consult with your faculty or department regarding these amounts.


Tri-Council Salaries, Stipends, and Benefits

Tri-Council agencies (CIHR, NSERC, and SSHRC) will accept salaries, stipends, and related federal, provincial, and institutional non-discretionary benefits for research work performed by research personnel (e.g. students, research associates, technicians, etc.) as eligible expenses. Non-discretionary benefits include CPP, EI, WC, and Vacation Pay. It is highly recommended that you include non-discretionary benefits in your grant application as you will be required to pay them upon hiring.



Information in this section is specifically relevant to travel paid for through research funds. General information about travel as a university employee can be found on the following pages:

Allowable Travel Expenses and Granting Agency Regulations

When claiming travel expenses against a research grant, you need to ensure the expenses meet the University of Regina policies but also the regulations of the granting agency. Consult the respective funding agency website to determine eligible and ineligible expenses prior to submission of reimbursement claims to Financial Services.

The University of Regina travel regulations are in harmony with the Tri-Council (i.e., CIHR, NSERC, and SSHRC) travel regulations.

View the Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide for information on use of funds for travel.


Research-Related Travel Policies 

The University's Travel Policy covers the most up-to-date information about all of the following research-travel related policies:

  • Payment of Travel Expenses
  • Travel Advances
  • Foreign Exchange Rates
  • Travel Insurance and Out of Country Medical Coverage
  • Frequent Flyer Program
  • University Corporate Travel Agent


Reimbursement Claims

Financial Services provides detailed information about submitting reimbursement claims and the reimbursement process on their Travel and Reimbursement page and on their Reimbursement FAQ page.

Financial Services' FOAPAL page provides lists of organization codes, common account codes, and common activity codes that are needed for completing reimbursement claim forms.


Receipts Required

As indicated in the Travel Policy, "receipts substantiate claims for reimbursement. Original receipts or paid invoices are required as support documentation for expenditures in order to meet audit requirements. Photocopies are not acceptable". See Receipts Required under the University Travel Policy