Karunya University (India) Partnership
University of Regina and Karunya University (India) Joint Program Overview
The University of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada in collaboration with Karunya University, Coimbatore, India introduces 4 years BACHELOR OF KINESIOLOGY (BKin) program with specialization in Human Kinetics or Gerontology to Indian students from the academic year 2011- 2012.
It is the first Bachelor of Kinesiology degree program to be offered in India. Karunya University will deliver the first two years of the program based on University of Regina curriculum. Students will then attend the University of Regina for the final two years of the program where they get degree after successful completion
BKin students will study a set of core courses to provide with a solid foundation of knowledge and skills related to kinesiology. In addition to the core, BKin students complete courses in a major (specialization) in Human Kinetics or Gerontology.
BKin core subjects
The first two years of study at Karunya University will cover core topics that includes areas of
• lifestyle, health and wellness
• growth and development
• motor learning and control
• human anatomy and physiology
• sociology of physical activity and sport
• social psychology of physical activity and sport
• recreation for persons with disabilities
• statistics, research methods
• diversity issues
The next two years of study at University of Regina will cover their major (specialization) topics. They can choose either Human Kinetics or Gerontology as their majors.
BKin core majors
1. BKin GERONTOLOGY
Gerontology is a field which helps in understanding aging based on biological, social and behavioural sciences (e.g., aging and physical/mental health). The courses in BKin GERONTOLOGY program covers topics related to the needs of older adults.
• changes in human physiology and movement related to aging and/or disease and condition
• fitness assessment, adaptation and program management
• recreation and physical activity for older adults and health promotion
• lifestyle factors related to normal, healthy aging.
Career opportunities : Administrator (e.g., hospital, nursing home, seniors' residence), Health Care Coordinator, Rehabilitation Services in Clinics, Community centres, Government services, Hospitals, Recreation centres, Rehabilitation centres and private practice. In addition, opportunities exists in research and teaching fields with higher education.
II. BKin HUMAN KINETICS
It is the application of biomechanics, physiology, exercise physiology, and movement theory to understanding health and disease. The course topics are
• effects of exercise and lifestyle choices on the human body
• administration of standardized fitness and exercise counselling for fitness
• assessment of musculoskeletal injury and movement-related disorders
• injury and chronic health problems
• physiological assessment, response, and adaptations for different types of exercise
• experimental paradigms and research.
Career opportunities : A career with Human Kinetics Major includes Clinical Kinesiologist, Corporate Fitness Director, Employee Health Consultant, Ergonomics Consultant, Exercise Therapist, Fitness Instructor, Health Educator, Sport Medicine Services, Therapy Unit Programmer, Workplace Services (e.g., assessment, rehabilitation, claims) and related positions in health services across lifespan, clinics, community centres, educational institutions, government services, health facilities, hospitals, nursing homes, and rehabilitation centres. In addition, opportunities exists in research and teaching fields with higher education.
Highlights of the program
• First BKin Program in India with program emphasis related to active health and rehabilitation.
• The program provides broad scope with core and major courses.
• Students will spend one semester completing fieldwork in year four (either in India or Canada). The fieldwork gives students the opportunity to apply what they have learned in their program, as well as learn through their experiences with practicing professionals.