Five seated UofR students

Common Questions About Giving

  1. U of R Home
  2. Alumni and Friends
  3. Giving
  4. Common Questions About Giving

Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about giving to the University of Regina, including  taxes, charitable numbers, receipts, and related topics.

Can I use my donation as a credit for income tax purposes?
You will receive a charitable tax receipt for annual donations of more than $20. Receipts are mailed on an ongoing basis. The University's Canadian Charitable Business Number is 10816 2124 RR 0001.
I live outside of Canada - can I still make a gift?
We are pleased to accept gifts from our friends and alumni located around the world. All donors of gifts of more than $20 will receive a charitable tax receipt. The University's US Charitable Business Number is 980042539.
Can I give to an existing scholarship or set one up in my name or in the name of another?

You may donate to an existing scholarship or create your own scholarship, award, bursary or prize. Our Development staff will work with you to honour the intent of your gift while adhering to applicable laws and University policy. We can also explain the various tax advantages available to you.

Two documents are available that explain annually-funded and endowed awards that can bear your name or the name of your organization if you meet the criteria. A full explanation of the student awards options is available..

Can I make a donation from my securities?
If you own publicly traded securities or mutual funds that have increased in value, you may want to consider donating the securities directly to the University of Regina. Such a gift can minimize the capital gains taxes you have to pay on those securities. A gift of an RRSP, RRIF, mutual funds or retirement plans may also be eligible for this capital gains benefit. Please consult with your financial advisor on the benefits you may receive.
How can I make my next pledge payment via credit card rather than by cheque?

If your next pledge payment is coming due and your would prefer to make your payment via credit card, please use our Pledge Payment donation form.

If the pledge was made by an organization that your are associated with, rather than yourself, it is very important to indicate this when completing the form.

How can I make a gift in my estate plans?

You may choose to leave some or all of your estate to the University of Regina. This could include a gift of cash, a particular asset, real estate, securities, retirement plans, life insurance policies, charitable gift annuities or charitable remainder trusts. By indicating your wish to donate to the University in your estate plans, you can make the gift of a lifetime without affecting your current lifestyle. Please consult your income tax, financial and /or legal advisors while arranging a planned gift.

For more information, please see our detailed Planned Giving page.

How do gifts that I make by credit card appear on my statements?
Gifts that you make to the University of Regina will appear as “UR Giving”. Most banking apps and credit card statements will also show our telephone number, "+13065854024", and that we are located in Saskatchewan. In some cases you will also see the email for our Gift Processing Team,
Can I make an anonymous gift? Will I still receive my tax receipt?
We understand that some individuals and/or organizations prefer to remain anonymous, while others are willing to be publicly recognized. We will respect your wishes. Anonymous donors must provide their personal information for income tax purposes, but that information will remain confidential and will not be released publicly.
I'm an employee of the University of Regina. How do I get my tax receipt?

Whether you are eligible for a tax receipt and how you will receive it depends on how you made your gift. These are the most common scenarios:

  • If you give via payroll deduction, your charitable giving will be receipted in the appropriate box on your annual T4 issued by the University of Regina.
  • If you give a one-time gift via credit card or cheque, you will be issued a tax receipt via email shortly after your gift is processed.
  • If you give a recurring gift via credit card, you will be issued a tax receipt annually in the February following the end of the applicable tax year.
  • If you give using funds from your APEA, you will not be issued a tax receipt. These are University funds, rather than your personal funds, and they are not eligible for a tax receipt per CRA regulations.
I have a question about or problem with a gift that I have made. Who do I contact?
If you have any concerns about the details about a gift that you have made, please contact our Gift and Pledge team by email via
What about my privacy?

The University of Regina respects your privacy. We protect your personal information and adhere to all legislative requirements. We do not sell, rent or exchange our donor information with anyone. The information you provide will be used to keep you informed about our services, special events, fundraising programs, benefit discounts and other activities through periodic contact. If you do not wish your name to be used, please contact us and we will gladly accommodate your request.

Privacy matters are governed by the Univerity of Regina’s privacy policy. Please see GOV-060-005 Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy for more details.

Information provided to University Advancement & Communications is used by the University to support ongoing relationships with donors. Our development staff adheres to the Donor Bill of Rights* and AFP Code of Ethical Standards** which are international standards of professional practice in fundraising.

*Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), all rights reserved. Reprinted with permission from the Association of Fundraising Professionals.

**Adopted 1964, Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Copyright AFP, all rights reserved. Reprinted with permission from the Association of Fundraising Professionals.

How do I cancel my recurring gift or payroll deduction?

You may elect to cancel your future payments for recurring gifts or pledges that you have made to the University of Regina at any time.

Please complete our Cancel Your Recurring Gift or Pledge form. Your contact information is required to ensure that we are changing the appropriate person's recurring gifts and that we have a way to contact you if we have follow-up questions about what needs to be cancelled. We will process your request as promptly as possible.

How can I update my contact information?
Every time you make a gift, the contact details that you provide will be updated on your record. You can also choose to use our Stay Connected form at any time to let us know of any changed contact information.
Does the U of R accept all gifts?

The University of Regina accepts most gifts. The University of Regina may decline certain gifts due to ethical concerns, legal contraints, or utility of the gift to the University. The U of R's Donation and Gift Acceptance policy (GOV-030-005) governs the acceptance of gifts and explains in greater detail.