Students sitting around a laptop
Go global, together.

International Students

The University of Regina's Really BIG Deal

Students standing by stairway taking selfies.

Start Saving on Housing and Tuition Today

The University of Regina’s Really BIG Deal is a housing and tuition savings offer for all international students.

Students sitting around kitchen table in residence

The University of Regina is one of the top 50 universities in the world that’s less than 50 years old. When you attend the U of R, you will join more than 16,000 other students in a truly Canadian experience. The campus is beautiful, safe and home to top researchers and academics. We think you’ll love it here! Come for a visit and see for yourself.

The University of Regina welcomes approximately 3,000 international students from nearly 100 countries to our main campus in Regina, Saskatchewan. Together with students from across Canada, international students help build a diverse and multicultural community where everyone experiences the support and attention needed to become a true global citizen to contribute to our shared world.

A secure and affordable place to study, U of R gives you access to support services specifically for international students as well as the opportunity to participate in the local community.

Come to Saskatchewan to experience Canadian values. Communities and relationships matter here. Located in the centre of the country, we are the heart of Canada. Yes, the winters can be cold, but Saskatchewan people are warm.

Explore Your Options

The University of Regina offers more than 120 undergraduate programs and more than 80 graduate programs. Undergraduate certificates and diplomas can be a pathway toward a future diploma or degree. You can also experience the U of R’s academic culture in our 13-week English as a Second Language Program, before you start your degree program.

International Student Admissions Application

Scholarships for Undergraduate International Students

Scholarships can ease your expenses and free you up so you can focus on your studies. At the University of Regina, we have special entrance scholarships designated specifically for international students. And the number of scholarships that our international students can apply for increases after your first year here.

Undergraduate International Students

Schedule your one-on-one virtual meeting with a University of Regina enrolment counselor who specializes in helping international students. Talk to one of our experts and get your questions (and your family’s questions) answered. 

Graduate International Students

Learn how you can study and succeed in our supportive environment where you have full access to expert mentors. At the U of Regina, you can feel comfortable yet challenged, be inspired by peers and form intellectual partnerships, as a graduate international student.

Experiential and Service Learning

The Centre for Experiential and Service Learning wants to help you learn by doing. Get hands-on experience and community-focused, accessible volunteer opportunities that build your skills and help you become a career-ready global citizen. Canadian-based experiences such as these are great for wherever your future takes you.

Safety Priorities on Campus

Safety is a priority at the University of Regina. It’s part of our campus culture.

With responsibilities across campus, our dedicated Campus Security team looks out for all students, faculty and visitors, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.

International Student Services and Support

From orientation right through to graduation, the UR International team is here for you. For example, our Global Learning Centre provides English coaching, tutoring, study assistance and other workshops to support your success. Our International Peer Advisor team can help ease your transition to the U of R and new living environment.

Engaged Faculty

Engaged and helpful professors teach your classes at U of R. International students use these words to describe them:

  • Approachable
  • Understanding
  • Service oriented
  • Student centred
  • Multicultural
  • Experienced
Now, it’s your turn to meet them!
Students hanging out in campus residence

Campus Housing

U of R’s campus features a total of 1,800 rooms in six fully-furnished, modern residences with full kitchens or access to dining plans. When you live on campus, you’re on your own, but not alone!

Have you heard of the Global Citizen Living-Learning Community? It is a group of students who live together in on-campus housing and they share similar interests.

Most buildings on campus are connected, so you won’t need to go outside when you walk from your room to your class — unless you want to enjoy our beautiful park setting.

Male student posing in front of international flags

Co-operative Education and Internships

Take part in co-operative education programs where you can gain valuable work experience with local employers while completing your studies in Canada.

Students often make important connections through co-operative education placements and internships that help them transition to living, working and settling in Canada after graduation if they choose.

Five students at a pizza party

Discover Regina

The city of Regina is one of the most affordable places to live, study and build your career in Canada. This includes affordable dining and entertainment, as well as affordable housing and transportation options for international students.

Regina is known for its vibrant community and cost of living that attracts and keeps people — including those who study here and choose to stay after graduation.

Five students posing for a photo
3000 International Students Right Now
100 Countries represented
309 International agreements in 44 countries

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

What are the COVID-19 protocols at the U of R?

The University of Regina is approved by the provincial and federal governments as one of the Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) to welcome international students with its COVID-19 readiness plan. Before you travel to Canada, please read the following policies and guidance carefully to understand how to prepare yourself before departure and what to expect upon arrival.




What are the protocols to travel to Canada?

The Government of Canada has implemented several travel restrictions and self-quarantine guidelines in an effort to protect and ensure the safety of all residents in Canada. Therefore, before you travel, make sure to be aware of the policies and expectations, as well as other requirements to travel to Canada.

Please refer to the Government of Canada website for the most up to date information.

Please use the checklist that applies to you as an additional resource:

Do I need health insurance coverage to travel to Canada?

It is important to note that the processing time for the Saskatchewan Health Card takes several weeks. Therefore, in the event of any medical emergency or situation where health coverage is required, it is recommended to arrange additional health insurance prior to travel to Canada to ensure that students are covered while waiting for their Health Card to be issued.

The University of Regina Students’ Union (URSU) offers the URSU Health & Dental Plan to students registered in 9 or more credits in undergraduate programs, and 6 or more credits in graduate programs. For more information about URSU Health & Dental Plan, please visit the URSU website.


Will my tuition fees be reimbursed if I study online because of COVID-19 while waiting for a study permit?

Undergraduate and graduate international students who withdraw from classes prior to the end of 100 per cent refund period will not be charged any tuition fees. Courses dropped after the End of 100 per cent refund period will be charged according to the Academic Schedule. Please ensure you review the Academic Schedule for important dates and deadlines of each term.

It is important to note that courses offered through distanced learning because of COVID-19 are subject to the same regulations and criteria as courses offered in person on campus. As such, no refund will be allowed except according to the above-noted Academic Schedule. Should you have more questions, please contact us.

As a U of R international student, can I get the COVID-19 vaccine in Regina?

Yes, international students and students from other provinces/territories living and studying in Saskatchewan for more than two weeks will be eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Eligibility is based on the Saskatchewan COVID-19 vaccine delivery phases (by age) and priority populations.

All students are encouraged to visit for further information.


International Admission Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for undergraduate programs?

Step 1: Complete the online admissions application.

Step 2: Pay your application fee of $100 Canadian.

U of R accepts payment in the following ways:

  • Credit card (Mastercard, Visa and American Express). Contact Financial Services: 1-306-585-4123
  • Flywire (If you do not have a credit card, you can transfer funds to U of R using our payment portal.)

Step 3: Upload your documents in PDF format in the Supporting Documents section of your application. 

  • High School Transcript (Year 10, 11, and 12)
  • Front and back page (if there is information on it) of transcripts from additional education after high school
  • English Language Proficiency test — Learn more about these requirements.
  • Copy of your passport
  • Gap information - Have you obtained any other education or attended a post-secondary institute, such as polytechnic, college or university, since completing high school?

Original documents will be required once you arrive in Regina. Please be sure to provide a certified English translation for all documents.

Once a decision has been made regarding your application, U of R will send it electronically.

Contact for support.

How do I apply for graduate programs?
Please visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research website for application and admissions details for International Students.
Can I make changes to my application for undergraduate programs after it has been submitted?

Yes. After you submit your admissions application, if you want to make any changes, please contact us directly.

In addition, if you want to change your program, semester, address or pay the fee after submitting your application, please send an email to the same address noted above. However, please note that submitting multiple applications slows down your application progress and delays an admissions decision.

How can I check my undergraduate admission application status?

Please note that admissions application reviews generally take about four weeks to complete once University of Regina receives all required documents.

  1. Sign into the Admission portal – Enter your Login ID and PIN that you used when submitting your application.
  2. Click on the term for which you have applied under the “Processed Applications” heading.
If accepted for an undergraduate program, for how long is my acceptance letter valid?

For undergraduate international students, letters for full acceptance from the University of Regina remain valid for three consecutive semesters.

For example, if you apply for Fall 2021, an acceptance letter allows you to study starting in Fall 2021 or Winter 2022 or Spring/Summer 2022.

If a student is academically admissible but does not yet meet the English Language Proficiency (ELP) policy, the conditional acceptance letter is valid for a period of 12 months from the date it is issued.

Can I still apply for an undergraduate program if I am unable to take an English Language Proficiency Test?

Yes. If you are academically admissible, we will issue you a Conditional Letter of Acceptance, then you can provide your ELP test results soon after being accepted.

We now accept Duolingo English Test with a minimum score of 110 as an English language proficiency test for direct admissions during COVID-19.

Can I transfer credits to the U of R?

Yes, undergraduate international students can transfer credits to the U of R. Transfer credit is awarded at the discretion of the faculty or college you are applying to. Transfer credit may be given for up to two years of work at other accredited post-secondary institutions. However, some programs may only give limited credit. Once admitted to the university, you can make a request to your faculty or college will evaluate your previous work and award transfer credit relevant to your program of choice.

Students will need to submit an official transcript (in a sealed envelope, directly from the institution attended) and course descriptions in order to allow an accurate assessment of the courses). Transfer credits will not be considered without the official transcript or if the institution is not accredited.

International Student Frequently Asked Questions

When is my tuition due?

Tuition and fees payment dates vary according to each term. For all tuition and fees payment and refund dates, as well as other important dates and deadlines, please review the Academic Schedule respective to the current, or applicable, academic term.

If you are a first-term international student, please visit the Registration Information website, under the “International Student Class Registration” section for important dates regarding immigration document submission and tuition and fees payment deadlines.

How do I pay my tuition?

You may make a payment in the following ways:

  • Credit Card (Financial Services: 1-306-585-4123; UR International Office: 1-306-585-6260)
  • Flywire (If you do not have a credit card you can transfer funds to us using Flywire)
What scholarships are available to undergraduate international students?

We currently offer the following entrance scholarships designated specifically for undergraduate international students:

  • International Entrance Scholarship: $3,000 automatically awarded to undergraduate students on a study permit who are applying for admission directly from a secondary school (or equivalent) into a direct-entry undergraduate program.
  • Circle of Scholars Entrance Scholarship: $5,000 each school year for up to four years (assuming student maintains eligibility requirements).
  • University of Regina Undergraduate International Student Welcome Solidarity Scholarship and Housing Support:

New students that register for only the Winter 2021 term or only for the Spring/Summer 2021 term will receive a $1,000 CAD tuition credit upon arrival and registration in the Fall 2021 term.

Students that register for both Winter 2021 term and Spring/Summer 2021 term will receive a $2,000 CAD tuition credit upon arrival and registration in Fall 2021 term.

Students that register for both Winter 2021 term and Spring/Summer 2021 term or only Winter 2021 term will a receive a $2,000 CAD credit towards the on campus housing rent for Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 terms ($1,000 CAD per term).

In addition, the number of scholarships that you can apply for increases after your first year at the U of R.
As an international student, am I eligible for a Saskatchewan Health Card?

Yes. International students, provided they reside in Saskatchewan, have a valid study permit and maintain their full-time student status, are eligible to apply for the Saskatchewan Health Card and have access to Provincial Health Coverage.

UR International Student Services offers Health Card Information Sessions in the beginning of every semester for students who require support during the application process. If you encounter any difficulties with the Health Card application, please contact us.

For a detailed, step-by-step guide on the Saskatchewan Health Card process, please refer to the Saskatchewan Health Card Manual. 

What is the Co-operative Education (Co-op) Program?

Co-operative Education (Co-op) alternates practical, career-related, paid work terms with semesters in class, giving you 12-16 months of supervised work experience by the time you graduate.

We are accredited by Co-operative Educational and Work-integrated Learning (CEWIL) Canada, so we meet the standards for commitment and quality set by our national governing body.

Find out more information about how to join the Co-op program.

Do I need a Study Permit?

Yes. If you are coming to Canada to study, and your study period is more than 6 months, you will need to obtain a Study Permit to study in Canada. To determine if you need a Study Permit, please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Find out if you need a study permit page.

For information about the process of Study Permit application, please visit Study Permit: About the process page.

Can I study part-time?

No. As an international student holding a study permit, it is required to maintain full-time student status in fall and winter terms at the University of Regina.

Full time registration is defined as follows:

  • Undergraduate: 9 credit hours in each Fall and Winter term;
  • Graduate (Master’s): 6 credit hours in each Fall and Winter term; at least 3 credit hours in each Spring/Summer term;
  • Graduate (Doctoral and MPP students): 6 credit hours in each Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer term.

During specific times throughout the year (designated by the University of Regina), students may be eligible to register full-time, part-time or take a break. Regularly Scheduled Breaks may differ according to your level of study, therefore, it is important that you review the Academic Schedule appropriate for your level of study and the respective term.

Can I work off-campus?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) determines working eligibility based on different factors. In order to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria, please contact UR International Student Services.

Find more information on eligibility requirements to work off campus.
Do I need a work permit to be a co-op/internship student?

Yes, co-op for post-secondary international students is intended for foreign nationals who intend to perform work that is an essential part of a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. The work cannot form more than 50 per cent of the total program of study.

What are my options to stay in Canada after graduation?

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience. More information on the PGWPP eligibility requirements and application process can be found on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

If you are a graduate from a recognized post-secondary institution within Saskatchewan, you may qualify for the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP). More information on the SINP can be found on the Government of Saskatchewan website.