Phased return to in-person learning begins February 7. Learn More.

Saskatchewan Student Assistance

The Canada-Saskatchewan Integrated Student Loan Program means Saskatchewan residents can apply for federal and provincial student loans using one application form. Recent changes to the student financial assistance program are making post-secondary education more accessible for low and middle income students and provide more non-repayable and affordable repayment options.


  • Resident of the province of Saskatchewan, as defined by the program
  • Canadian citizen, permanent resident or designated as a Protected person
  • Demonstrate financial need according to program criteria
  • Pass a credit check if you are over 22 years of age and applying for student financial assistance for the first time
  • Have not exhausted the lifetime maximum student financial assistance limit
  • Not in default on a previous student loan
  • Enrolled or qualified to enrol as a full-time post-secondary student at a designated school in an approved program which is at least 12 weeks in length. If your program is 6-11 weeks, you may be eligible if the short program is part of a longer program

Recent Changes to the Program

  • Full-time students can earn as much as they choose during their study period without affecting their eligibility for financial assistance
  • Interest rates will be reduced to prime on repayable loans
  • Ownership of vehicles by students is allowed without affecting the level of financial assistance
  • The part-time student loan program is now interest-free

How to Apply

You can apply online or download a paper application from the Saskatchewan Student Loans website. A new application is required at the start of each academic year (for example, an academic year is September 1 to April 30, but you must use the actual dates of each year on the application).  Check out this great five-minute video explaining how you can apply!

Once you submit your application you can monitor your application status online.  Once your loan has been assessed, you will find out out what type of funding you are eligible to receive (loan and/or grant), the amount of money you will receive, and when you can expect to recieve the money.  This is communicated through a "Notice of Assessment" on your portal account.

Receiving Your Funds

If you have been determined to be eligble for a student loan and/or grant for the first time, you will be required to complete the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA), which is a legal agreement between you and the Government. This is a contract between you and the Government which outlines your responsibilities and the terms and conditions of the loan.  There is a two-step online process to:

  1. Confirm your identity and register your account with the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC); and 
  2. Complete their MSFAA online and accept the Terms and Conditions of the agreement.

Once your loan agreement has been processed, the Government will contact us to confirm your enrolment in classes.  We will review your student account and take tuition for one or two semesters (depending on the length of your loan) from the Canada Student Loan (CSL) and grant portion of your loan.  These amounts are outlined on the assessment letter included in your information package from Saskatchewan Student Loans.  It is possible that the money you are eligible to receive is less than the total amount of tuition you owe. When this happens, you are responsible to pay for any outstanding charges on your student account.  If we have taken your full CSL/grant amount from your loan, you may not receive your first disbursement from National Student Loans.

Once we have confirmed the amount of tuition we will take from your student loan, we will advise National Student Loans and put a note on your account. This note will stop any interest from being charged on your account while we await the money to be sent from National Student Loans. If you are a dual registered student, we will only take tuition money from your loan for U of R classes. 

Once the money is received from National Student Loans, a payment will appear on your student account. If we have taken tuition for two semesters a credit (negative number) may appear on your account.

Full-Time Students:

We can only confirm your enrolment at the U of R a maximum of 21 days before the start of classes, so if you have been approved for a loan, you still have to wait until the U of R is able to confirm your enrolment for the Government to release that money. We will need to confirm you are in full-time courses, which is a minimum of 9 credit hours per term (6 credit hours for students with a registered disability).  The U of R will review your tuition and fees on your account, and request the funds from the Government to cover either one term or two-terms, depending on what type of a loan you have applied for.  Any excess funds will be deposited to your bank account by the Government, along with any monthly payments you have been deemed eligible to receive.  Make sure your student loan funds have been deposited in your student account (using UR Self-Service) prior to the end of September for Fall, or the end of January for Winter to ensure you do not incurr any late fees.  After you have received your loan funding, it is important to be aware that any changes in registration could affect future funding.  You are encouraged to stop by our office at any time to discuss what impact dropping a class after you have received funding may have on your loan.

Part-Time Students:

If you will be a Part-Time student, you will bring or send the Certificate of Eligibility form along with photo ID to the Student Awards & Financial Aid (SAFA) office for completion.

Taking Classes at More than One University/College:

If you are planning to take a course at another post-secondary institution as well as at the U of R, you will need to let us know.  Depending on where you are taking these courses, you will need to provide additional information as follows:

  • University of Saskatchewan: please send an email to and include your name, your U of R ID number, your U of S ID number, the courses you are taking, the number of credit hours, and the start and end dates of these courses.
  • Any other post-secondary institution: please send an email to and include your name, your U of R ID number, the name of the institution, a proof of your registration at the other institution showing the courses you are taking, the number of credit hours, and the start and end dates of those courses.

Please note that it is your responsibility to pay the tuition and fees at the other institution.

More Information

Ministry of Advanced Education
Telephone: 306-787-5620 (in Regina area or outside Canada)
Toll Free: 1-800-597-8278 (outside Regina)

National Student Loans Service Centre
Public Institutions Division
PO Box 4030
Mississauga ON L5A 4M4
Telephone: 1-888-815-4514