If You Believe You Have Been Sexually Assaulted

Are You Safe?

  • Call Regina Police Service at 911 or Campus Security 306-585-4999 (24 hrs) if you need emergency services.

Emergency Medical Care


Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) are available 24 hrs at both Regina hospitals. You do not have to disclose the situation to the triage nurse – just ask for the SANE nurse. The SANE team are experts dedicated to a trauma-informed and respectful approach to survivors of sexual assault, including a basic or more extensive medical examination, emergency medications and testing.

  • Pasqua Hospital: 4101 Dewdney St.

  • General Hospital: 1440-14th Ave.

Other emergency supports

  • Regina Sexual Assault Crisis Line: 1-844-952-0434

Other Supports


  • Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator (SVPR):

    • Call Lynn Thera at 306-337-3149 or e-mail sexual.violence.response@uregina.ca. Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. The SVPR can assist either survivors or their supports in person, or by telephone or e-mail. Supports can include listening, accompaniment to appointments or to seek medical attention, referrals to both on and off campus resources, advocacy for deferrals, extensions and/or other academic accommodations, and general information. You do not have to make a report to access University of Regina services. You will be listened to, respected, and believed!

  • Counselling Services: 306- 585-4491

  • Women’s Centre: 306-584-1255

  • URPride Centre for Sexual & Gender Diversity: 306-337-8811 ext. 107

  • Aboriginal Student Centre: 306-337-3153

  • Student Advocate: 306-337-8811 ext. 204

  • UR International: 306-585-5082


  • Regina Sexual Assault Centre: call 306-522-2777 for appointment or 306-352-0434 for 24 hr crisis line 

  • Family Services Regina (intimate partner violence, stalking, or counselling): 306-757-6675

  • Mobile Crisis (24 hrs): 306-757-0127

  • Domestic Violence Shelters (24 hrs):

    • Transition House: 306-757-2096

    • YWCA Isabel Johnson Shelter: 306-525-2141

    • Wish: 306-543-0493

  • Medical support:

    • Planned Parenthood: 306-522-0902

Disclosure and Report

What Is the Difference between Disclosure and Report?

  • Disclosure: Indicates that a person wants to share information about their assault with another person. It does not mean that a person necessarily wants to make a formal report about the assault. Not reporting is a valid option. Individuals who have experienced sexual violence do not need to make a report in order to receive University supports.

  • Report: Means that the person wants to make a formal complaint to either the police or University services. University processes are different than legal requirements. Individuals should be encouraged to contact the SVPR coordinator for support in this process.

What To Do if Someone Discloses to You

  • Believe: Many survivors of sexual violence worry that they will not be believed or that they are somehow to blame for the assault. Let the person know that you believe them and emphasize that it was not their fault. The only one to blame for the assault is the perpetrator.

  • Safety: Consider both the physical safety and emotional well-being of the person making the disclosure. Offer information (listed above) on supports and services, including medical and counselling services.

  • Listen: Allow the person a chance to share information without interruption or judgement. Acknowledge the courage it takes to share, and refrain from asking “why” questions or for details on the assault.

  • Ask: Usually, when someone discloses information regarding an assault they are looking for support. Simply asking “what can I do to help” allows for the individual the opportunity to share.

  • Explore Options: People have the right to make their own decisions on how they move forward after the assault. It is important for survivors to be in control over how and what supports are accessed. If you are U of R faculty or staff supporting an individual, contact the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator for consultation and advising around issues related to sexual violence.