COVID-19 Information

FAQs about Operations/General

This section will be updated regularly as information becomes available. 

For all general, health and travel-related questions on COVID-19, please refer to the Government of Canada Coronovirus disease (COVID-19) website.



I have recently returned from international travel. Will I have to self-isolate?

Please read: Information sheet for students, faculty, and staff arriving from international travel, including the United States

Where can I get support if I need to self-isolate?

Any students, faculty or staff members who are required to self-isolate at this time are encouraged to contact Health, Safety, & Wellness at: An advisor will follow up with you to ensure you have the proper supports during this time. Rest assured, your private health information will remain private.

What should I do if I have experienced discrimination or harassment in relation to COVID-19?

The University is committed to creating and maintaining an environment in which members of the University community can live, work and learn in a collegial climate of mutual respect, free of harassment and discrimination.

Harassment and discrimination are, fundamentally, a selective denial of the basic human right to be treated with dignity and respect. If you feel you have been discriminated against or harassed, you should report this behaviour to the Respectful University Coordinator at or 306-585-5400.

If you need immediate assistance because you fear for your personal safety, contact 911 or for an on-campus safety concern contact Campus Security Services at 306-585-4999 (24 hrs a day/7 days a week).

What should I do if one of my students or colleagues shows symptoms of COVID-19?

Anyone who is concerned they, or someone they have been exposed to, may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 should contact their health-care provider or call HealthLine at 811. Supervisors/faculty are strongly encouraged to recommend that any employees/students experiencing cough, fever or difficulty breathing stay home.

This is an incredibly stressful time for me and many others. Does the University have mental health supports in place, and if so, how might I access them?

For a list of coping strategies and support resources to help manage stress and anxiety amidst COVID-19, please go to the Mental Wellness Support page.


What is the University doing to prevent or prepare for an outbreak of COVID-19 on our campuses?

Classes and labs:

The University of Regina is conducting the Spring/Summer 2020 term entirely at a distance, and we look forward to providing the best possible educational experience for instructors and students who are teaching and learning remotely.

The Spring/Summer website is your gateway to the Spring/Summer term. Whether you are a current student, a prospective student, an instructor or other employee, or even a parent planning your child's activities for the summer, you will find resources here to help you through Spring/Summer at our University.


In consultation with the Saskatchewan Health Authority and the Ministry of Advanced Education, and in alignment with Saskatchewan’s COVID-19 prevention measures, the University of Regina has cancelled all in-person University and on campus public events until May 31, 2020, at which point it will be reassessed. This includes third-party events and activities that have been booked to occur on campus.

University organized or sponsored public lectures and events as well as non-academic student events/gatherings are cancelled until further notice. For any event for which a fee was paid by attendees, the fee will be refunded. Please contact the event organizers directly to receive a refund.


Effective immediately, and until further notice, no international travel by faculty, researchers, staff and students that the University is funding or sponsoring is allowed. Travellers arriving from outside of Canada will be required to self-isolate for 14 days, and monitor their health for symptoms of fever, cough or difficulty breathing. Travellers experiencing even mild symptoms, should call HealthLine 811 for advice.

Travel outside of Saskatchewan but within Canada will require the Dean’s or Director’s approval of the COVID-19 Travel Risk Assessment form, including a risk mitigation plan.

UR International is suspending all Study Abroad & Global Mobility programs and exchanges for the 2020 Spring/Summer term. The Study Abroad and Global Mobility office will continue to work with exchange students, partner universities and associated agencies to ensure that any exchanges or international mobility programs that are being suspended at this time can be rescheduled or revised.


The University has established an emergency operations group that is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and providing direction and support to the University and the various faculties/departments as required. This includes preparedness planning and consideration of future operational processes such as:

• Alternatives for students to write final exams which are normally held in the gymnasiums, etc.

• Working with our exchange students, host universities and associated agencies to ensure that any exchanges that are postponed can be rescheduled or revised

• Providing flexibility for international students who have been accepted to the University but who may be unable to start when originally planned due to delay in visa or travel restrictions

• Provision of food and other essential services

• Ensuring adequate supplies of cleaning, and other essential products

• Implementing stronger protocols/procedures for disinfecting/cleaning

The University has also provided general advice reminding people to follow appropriate health precautions: wash hands often; avoid touching your mouth, nose or eyes; cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze; if you become sick avoid contact with others and see a health care professional or call the health line at 811.

Supervisors/faculty are strongly encouraged to recommend that any employees/students experiencing cough, fever or difficulty breathing stay home.

The University is following the guidelines and recommendations for dealing with COVID-19 set out by the Government of Canada, particularly the Public Health Agency of Canada, and by the Saskatchewan Health Authority. These are the government authorities and officials with the training, knowledge and expertise required to manage issues such as the spread of COVID-19 and other contagious diseases.

What is the University doing to prevent the spread of viruses and bacteria?

The University’s custodial staff are "cleaning for health" - focusing their attention on rigorously cleaning and thoroughly disinfecting priority, public areas on campus. Special attention is being taken to ensure that washrooms are cleaned, disinfected and remain stocked with soap, paper towels and toilet paper. As well, some secondary washrooms may be closed in certain areas to limit traffic. Custodial staff are also increasing their focus on disinfecting high touch surfaces such as light switches, handrails, elevator buttons/railings, doorknobs, faucet/toilet handles, table tops, vanities, and vending machines. High traffic areas are being equipped with alcohol-based hand sanitizer stations when supplies arrive. Main Floors are being swept and washed daily, and waste and recycling services will continue.

Is the U of R distributing masks for people to wear to prevent the spread of infection on our campuses?

The U of R is not distributing masks as medical authorities are not recommending their use at this time. Some members of our community may opt to wear a mask for a variety of reasons and it is their right to do so.


Is the campus closed?

Beginning Monday, April 13, the University will take steps to further protect those working on campus by limiting access to our buildings by the public. Additional doors will be locked in order to maintain the safety and security of those who continue to work or live on campus. Numerous staff continue to be needed to keep the University safe, secure, and operational; and to carry out critical lab-safety work or teaching duties. We want to minimize the risk to them and to you.

As was the case when in-person classes were cancelled on March 13, students are still being asked to avoid coming to the University if at all possible. If a trip to campus is absolutely necessary (e.g. retrieving personal items, utilizing Printing Services, or temporarily accessing common area wi-fi), visits should be kept as brief as possible. While on campus, please practice physical distancing.

Access will continue to be available to students who require it from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. daily. The only change is that the number of unlocked exterior entrances will be limited to three: the Riddell Centre (West doors); Ad Hum (North doors); or Education (South doors) only. Student employees, supported by campus security, will be stationed at those locations to ensure those entering have reason to be there. Please bring your University or government-issued identification. See campus entrance here.

Should you require urgent access outside of these hours, please contact Campus Security at 306-585-4999.

Please visit for an updated list of Closures and Cancellations and for updates on how to access University services.

Can I access the University after business hours?

After business hours only authorized people with building, office, and/or residence card/keys will be allowed to enter campus buildings. Outside business hours authorized personnel should bring their campus identification along with their card/keys, and be prepared to produce their identification if requested by Campus Security. Campus Security will not provide access to any buildings or offices after business hours.

Is the Dr. John Archer Library still open?

Dr. John Archer Library is closed to all walk-in traffic. Online resources are available. Please visit for information regarding borrowing, instruction services, and availability of other services.

I have a library book that is due. How am I supposed to return it? How is the John Archer Library handling fees for overdue items?

If you have items checked out, you do not need to return them until the Library resumes physical operations. The book drops in the corridor in front of the Library are accessible if there is an urgent need to return materials. Fines will be waived as of Monday, March 23, 2020. If you get a fines or fee notice, it may be disregarded.
Please visit for further information regarding borrowing, instruction services, and availability of other services

Will the University of Regina continue issuing parking tickets?

During this time of reduced vehicle traffic at the University, and to allow individuals an alternative to public transit, we are temporarily suspending ticketing activities in all areas except Accessible Zones and Loading Docks. Please watch for updates as this may change.

Will the University of Regina offer refunds to parking permits?


If you have a parking permit valid to April, 2020, you will receive a credit to your student account for the amount paid for parking for the entire month of April.

If your student account is in a credit balance and you are graduating or not returning to the University of Regina after this semester, you are asked to make refund arrangements in-person at Financial Services when campus operations return to normal and it is safe to do so, or by contacting If you still have an outstanding balance on your account, the credit will be applied against those charges. Otherwise, the credit will be applied directly against future tuition and residence charges.

Given the current circumstances, permit parking fees will no longer be charged until normal university operations resume. At that time, the Parking Services website will be updated with permit sale dates.   


Given the current circumstances, permit parking fees will no longer be charged effective April 1, 2020. If you have permit parking in place on the University of Regina campus, please see below for important updates regarding payroll deductions, account credits, and parkade access.

For University of Regina staff and faculty with payroll parking deductions:

Your parking payroll deduction will no longer be applied beginning the March 29 to April 11, 2020 pay period (April 17 payday) and continuing until further notice.  All permit holders will maintain their permits (the lot they are in) when payment resumes.

For staff and faculty who paid for the year (May 2019 to April 2020) by debit or credit card:

A one-month credit will be placed on your parking account. This credit will be applied against your 2020/21 parking fees once parking fees resume. Note: you will be required to come to the Parking Office to have this credit applied to 2020/21. A reminder will be provided to each permit holder by email when parking permit fees resume. As well, the Parking Services website will be updated with permit sale dates once University classes/operations resume. All permit holders will maintain their permits (the lot they are in) at that time.  

Permit holders who wish to discontinue parking when fees resume may do so by emailing Parking Services at

For staff and faculty with CKHS parkade access that expires April 30 or Kisik parkade fobs:

Parking Services has arranged for card or fob access expiry dates to be automatically extended to cover the campus closure period.  

Will I receive a refund for my Fitness & Lifestyle Centre or Aquatic membership?

Due to the recent closure of the Fitness & Lifestyle Centre and the Aquatic Centre at the University of Regina, we will be providing a pro-rated refund or an extension based on the expiration date of your membership.

If your current membership’s expiration date is after April 30, we will extend your membership the number of days of the closure when the facility reopens.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact

Will we be sending people who are living in residences home?

No one is being required to move out of their residence accommodations. For students living in residence who do wish to move off campus, we are waiving all regular cancellation fees and providing pro-rated refunds.


Please review these FAQs and if you still have questions or concerns, fill out our email contact form.

Government of Canada FAQs