Temporary shift to remote learning to begin Winter 2022 term. Learn More.

Government Student Aid

Important COVID-19 Pandemic Update for Canada Student Loans.

If you have specific questions about the loan process during the pandemic, please contact your provincial student aid office (residents of Saskatchewan or residents of other Canadian provinces/territories) for more information.

Confirmations of Enrolment: Please understand that there was a one-week delay in our office receiving loan information from National Student Loans Service Centre and we are working quickly to confirm your loan.  We will notify you by email to your University of Regina email account once it has been confirmed.

Government Student Financial Assistance

In Canada, student financial assistance (also known as student aid, or student grants/loans) is available from the federal and provincial/territorial governments. There are two main forms of assistance available: loans and grants. Student loans must be paid back whereas grants, in most cases, do not need to be repaid.

You apply for government student assistance in your home province even if you are planning to study in another province. Government student assistance is intended to help you pay for your education. The amount of assistance available will depend on your personal and family situation and can only be determined after you have submitted an application. The Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 Canada Student Loan/Grant Application is now open!

Benefits of Government Student Financial Assistance

  • Interest free while you are a full-time student
  • No payments required while you are a full-time student
  • You do not need to have a co-signer or collateral
  • A portion of your loan may be forgiven
  • You may also be considered for non-repayable funding such grants and bursaries

Find out more about government student assistance for residents of Saskatchewan or residents of other Canadian provinces/territories.

Canada-Saskatchewan Integrated Student Loans Program

If your home province is Saskatchewan, once your loan application has been assessed by Saskatchewan Student Loans, you will be mailed a notice of assessment and a Master Student Financial Aid Agreement (MSFAA) form.  You must sign and send in your MSFAA immediately in order for your loan to be approved and money to be disbursed. Once your MSFAA has been received, your loan will be sent to the University electronically for approval. More information is available on the Saskatchewan Student Loans page.

National Student Loan Service Centre

The National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) now has a YouTube channel.  Consider this your virtual "Student 101" course for all information relating to Canada student financial assistance.

U.S. Student Loans

Find out more about student loans for residents of the United States.