Approved Documents

The U of R requires domestic applicants to undergraduate programs to provide official transcripts of their academic records from all previously recognized institutions prior to admission.

The information below applies to undergraduate domestic (Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or refugees) admission processes. International students (attending on a student visa or study permit) can access information about international student admission from UR International.

Find more information on:

Contact Us

Enrolment Services

Office: Administration Humanities, Rm. 108
University of Regina
3737 Wascana Pkwy
Regina, SK
Book an Appointment


What is considered an “official” document?

High School/Secondary-Level Transcripts: Applicants who have achieved secondary-level standing must submit an original transcript issued by the Ministry of Education or Governmental Authority responsible for student records in the province, state, or country, or issued directly by the Testing Authority.

Post-Secondary Level Transcripts: Applicants who are enrolled in, or have completed approved post-secondary coursework must request their transcript to be sent directly from the previous institution(s) to the U of R.

What is “approved post-secondary” coursework?

The U of R only requires post-secondary transcripts from “recognized institutions”. This ensures that we are using best practices and procedures to provide evidence that the academic quality of the institution meets widely accepted educational standards.

When is a post-secondary institution considered “recognized”?

An institution is considered to be “recognized” if it meets one of the following criteria:

  • A Canadian institution that is a member of Colleges and Institutes Canada or Universities Canada

  • A Canadian institution that is affiliated with a Universities Canada member institution, accredited by the Association of Biblical Higher Education (ABHE), or the Association of Theological Schools (ATS).

  • An institution from the USA that is a member of a regional accreditation body as recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

  • An institution outside of Canada or the USA that has been approved by its country's government to be authorized for education as determined by the U of R’s Enrolment Services Admissions Unit or; the UR International's Admissions Unit or; by the Registrar or; by a qualified international qualifications assessment

Other recognized coursework includes:

  • some courses through the College Board's Advanced Placement examinations;

  • some courses through the International Baccalaureate program;

  • some courses through the Cambridge International A Level

If the recognized institution is a University, then the transcripts should always be submitted for admissions purposes, and potentially for transfer credit. If the recognized institution is a College or Polytechnic, we then look at the program of study to further determine the academic versus applied nature of the program. For example, a cooking diploma from a college or polytechnic would be considered a vocational or applied training program, and therefore would not be required for admission, even if the program was completed at a recognized institution.

Examples of Programs from Colleges or Polytechnics we would most likely use for Admissions
Please note: This list is not inclusive of all programs.
  • Aboriginal Police Preparation
  • Accounting
  • Addictions Counselling
  • Advanced Care Paramedic (Faculty of Arts, Kinesiology & Health Studies, and Social Work only)
  • Architectural Technology
  • Business/Business Administration/Business Information
  • Chemical Technology
  • Civil Engineering
  • Combined Laboratory & X-Ray Technology (Faculty of Arts, Kinesiology-HS only, Nursing & Social Work only)
  • Computer Engineering Technology/Computer Systems Technology
  • Continuing Care Assistant (Social Work only)
  • Correctional Studies (Social Work only)
  • Court Services Administrator
  • Cytotechnology (Faculty of Arts, Kin-HS only, and Social Work only)
  • Disability Support Worker (Social Work only)
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Educational Assistant
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Engineering Design and Drafting Technology Diploma
  • Environmental Engineering Technology
  • Geographic Information Science
  • Geomatics and Surveying Engineering Technology Diploma
  • Graphic Communications
  • Health Information Management
  • Human Resources/Human Resources Management
  • Instrumentation Engineering Technology
  • Integrated Resource Management
  • Medical Lab Assistant (Nursing only)
  • Mental Health and Addictions Counselling
  • Medical Radiologic Technology
  • Practical Nursing (Nursing and Social Work only)
  • Psychiatric Nursing
  • Registered Nursing
  • Resource & Environmental Law
  • Youth Care Worker
Examples of Programs from Colleges or Polytechnics we would most likely NOT use for Admissions
Please note: This list is not inclusive of all programs.
  • Agricultural Equipment Technician
  • Auto Body Technician/Automotive Painter/Automotive Service Technician
  • Bricklayer
  • Carpentry
  • Commercial Pilot
  • Computer Networking Technician
  • Cosmetology
  • Culinary Arts
  • Dental Assisting/Dental Hygiene
  • Electrician
  • Esthetician-Nail Technician/Skin Care Technician
  • Fabricator-Welder
  • Food & Beverage Service/Food Service Cook
  • Food & Nutrition Management
  • Food
  • Forest to Fork
  • Hairstylist
  • Heavy Equipment and Truck and Transport
  • Hotel and Restaurant Management
  • Industrial Mechanics
  • Innovative Manufacturing
  • Interior Design
  • Machinist
  • Massage Therapy
  • Mechanical Engineering Technology (still send us transcript – may be classes considered for TC)
  • Occupational Health & Safety (still send us transcript – may be classes considered for TC)
  • Office Administration
  • Pharmacy Technician
  • Plumbing & Pipefitting
  • Power Engineering
  • Primary Care Paramedic
  • Stucco Applicator
  • Theology or Ministry
  • Veterinary Technology
  • Victim Services Coordination (still send us transcript – there may be classes considered for transfer credit)