Notice: Information and plans for upcoming academic terms. Learn more.


What do I need to be accepted into the Chemistry/Biochemistry Co-op Program?

Chemistry/Biochemistry students must maintain an average of at least 72.5% and must be enrolled in or have completed at least 21 and no more than 60 credit hours (including current semester of study) towards a Science degree. You will have successfully completed CHEM 104 and one additional CHEM or BIOCHEM course. Must be enrolled in a program to complete at least three BIOCHEM/CHEM courses beyond CHEM 104 prior to commencement of first work term. You must be a full-time student in the semester prior to starting a work term.

What types of jobs are available to Chemistry/Biochemistry Co-op students?

Your job possibilities include chemist's assistant, researcher, water technologist, metallurgical analyst, laboratory assistant, and more. You might find work as a Quality Control Analyst for Husky Energy, and Lab Technologist for the Buffalo Pound Water Treatment Plant, or a Lab Assistant for the RCMP.

How many work terms will I do?

Three, with an optional fourth.

How much can I earn during a work term?

Your salary could range from $2,200 to $3,200 per month, or about $14 to $20 per hour. Some employers may also offer a moving allowance.

Do I need to write a Work Term Report?

Yes, you are expected to submit a work term report. 
Am I charged a fee to do Co-op?
Yes you will be charged if you get a placement. Fees will be assessed in the semester that the student is registered in their work term.