Frequently Asked Questions

International Admission Information

How do I apply?

  • Undergraduate programs:

Step 1: Complete the online admissions application.


Step 2: Pay your application fee of $100 Canadian. U of R accepts payment in the following ways:

  • Credit card (Mastercard, Visa and American Express). Contact Financial Services: 1-306-585-4123
  • Flywire (If you do not have a credit card, you can transfer funds to U of R using our payment portal.)


Step 3: Upload your documents in PDF format to the checklist in your application portal. Contact for support:

  • High School Transcript (Year 10, 11, and 12)
  • Front and back page (if there is information on it) of transcripts from additional education after high school. Official post-secondary transcripts should be sent directly from the previous institution by email or mail.
  • Your English Language Proficiency test — Learn more about these requirements.
  • Copy of your passport


Original documents will be required once you arrive in Regina. Please be sure to provide a certified English translation for all documents.

Once a decision has been made regarding your application, your offer letter will be available in your application portal.


  • Graduate programs:


For more information please contact the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.

Can I make changes to my application after it has been submitted?

Yes. After you submit your application, if you want to make any changes, please contact us directly at

Please note that submitting multiple applications slows down your application progress and delays an admissions decision.


How can I check my admission application status?

Please note that admissions application reviews generally take about four weeks to complete once the University of Regina receives all required documents.

Step 1: Sign into your application portal – Enter your Login Email and PIN that you used when submitting your application.

Step 2: Review your checklist to see if there are any missing documents. If everything is submitted please allow for the processing time.

What do I do once I am accepted?

If accepted, for how long is my acceptance letter valid?

Please refer to the first page of your acceptance letter. It will list the available terms that you are able to start your studies.
If you have not met our English Language Proficiency requirement and received a conditional acceptance letter, it is valid for a period of 12 months from the date of issue.

Can I still apply if I am unable to take an English Language Proficiency Test?

Yes. If you are academically admissible, we will issue you a Conditional Letter of Acceptance, then you can provide your ELP test results soon after being accepted.

Please see all of the ways you can meet our ELP requirements here.

Can I transfer credits to the U of R?

Yes, Transfer credit is awarded at the discretion of the faculty or college you are applying to. Transfer credit may be given for up to two years of work at other accredited post-secondary institutions.  However, some programs may only give limited credit. Once admitted to the university, you can make a request to your faculty or college will evaluate your previous work and award transfer credit relevant to your program of choice.

Students will need to submit an official transcript (in a sealed envelope, directly from the institution attended) and course descriptions in order to allow an accurate assessment of the courses. Transfer credits will not be considered without the official transcript or if the institution is not accredited.

International Student Services Information

When is my tuition due?

Tuition and fees payment dates vary according to each term. For all tuition and fees payment and refund dates, as well as other important dates and deadlines, please review the Academic Schedule respective to the current, or applicable, academic term.

If you are a first-term international student, please visit the Registration Information website, under the “International Student Class Registration” section for important dates regarding immigration document submission and tuition and fees payment deadlines.

What scholarships are available to international students?

We currently offer the following entrance scholarships designated specifically for international students:

  • International Entrance Scholarship
  • International Student of Distinction Scholarship

As an international student, am I eligible for the Saskatchewan Health Card?

Yes. International students, provided they reside in Saskatchewan, have a valid study permit, and maintain their full-time student status, are eligible to apply for the Saskatchewan Health Card and have access to Provincial Health Coverage.

UR International Student Services offers Health Card Information Sessions in the beginning of every semester for students who require support during the application process. If you encounter any difficulties with the Health Card application, please contact us.

For a detailed, step-by-step guide on the Saskatchewan Health Card process, please refer to the Saskatchewan Health Card Manual.

What is the Centre for Experiential and Service Learning (CESL)?

At the Centre for Experiential and Service Learning we're here to help you learn by doing, which is what experiential learning is all about! You’ll have more opportunities to apply what you learn – not only in the classroom, but across campus, and in the wider community. This hands-on approach will help you retain what you learn and build valuable experience for your resumé and future employment.

Gain experience in both paid and volunteer positions. Graduate career-ready and find work fast!

  • Workshops, programming, and campus events to gain skills specific to your goals and educational path.
  • Digital badges that you can add to your resume and/or professional portfolios in areas such as career foundations, cultural awareness, leadership, and mentorship. Badges are designed to recognize the skills and opportunities students are participating in outside of the formal classroom.
  • Transferable skills, knowledge, and experience to ensure you are career-ready when you graduate.


Centre for Experiential and Service Learning | University of Regina (

What is the Co-operative Education (Co-Op) Program?

Co-operative Education (Co-op) alternates practical, career-related, paid work terms with semesters in class, giving you 12-16 months of supervised work experience by the time you graduate.

We are accredited by Co-operative Educational and Work-integrated Learning (CEWIL) Canada, so we meet the standards for commitment and quality set by our national governing body.

More information about how to join the Co-op program please click here.

Do I need a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)?

The Provincial Attestation Letter requirement applies to newly admitted international students applying for a Study Permit for the following programs:
  • Undergraduate (Bachelors, Diploma, Certificate)
  • English as a Second Language
  • Any other program of study that is longer than 6 months in length and does no lead to a Masters or PhD degree
A PAL is not required for:
  • Master's or Doctoral degree students applying for a study permit outside of Canada
  • Students already in Canada on a study permit applying to extend their stay
  • Students who submitted their study permit application to IRCC before 8:30 AM ET on January 22, 2024
Learn more here.

Do I need a Study Permit as an international student?

Yes. If you are coming to Canada to study, and your study period is more than 6 months, you will need to obtain a Study Permit to study in Canada. To determine if you need a Study Permit, please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) “Find out if you need a study permit page. For information about the process of Study Permit application, please visit “Study Permit: About the process” page.

As an international student, can I study part-time?

No. As an international student holding a study permit, it is required to maintain full-time student status in Fall and Winter terms.

Full time registration is defined as follows:

  • Undergraduate: 9 credit hours in each Fall and Winter term;
  • Graduate (Master’s): 6 credit hours in each Fall and Winter term; at least 3 credit hours in each Spring/Summer term;
  • Graduate (Doctoral and MPP students): 6 credit hours in each Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer term.
During specific times throughout the year (designated by the University of Regina), students may be eligible to register full-time, part-time or take a break. Regularly Scheduled Breaks may differ according to your level of study, therefore, it is important that you review the Academic Schedule appropriate for your level of study and the respective term.

I am a new international student and my first term at the U of R will be in Spring/Summer. How many credit hours do I need to register in to be a full-time student?

For new international undergraduate students, if your classes are starting in May, you must register in 9 credit hours to be a full-time student. If your classes are starting in July, you must register in 6 credit hours to be a full-time student.

If you are a new graduate student, you must register in a minimum of 6 credit hours, regardless of when your classes begin in Spring/Summer.

Important – It is the student's responsibility as an international student to comply with all IRCC rules and regulations surrounding full-time / part-time study.

As an international student, can I work off-campus?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) determines working eligibility based on different factors. In order to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria, please contact UR International Student Services.

For more information on eligibility requirement to work off campus please click here.

Do I need a work permit to be a co-op/internship student?

Yes, co-op for post-secondary international students is intended for foreign nationals who intend to perform work that is an essential part of a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. The work cannot form more than 50% of the total program of study.

For more information on how to apply for co-op work permit please click here.

What are my options to stay in Canada after graduation?

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience. More information on the PGWPP eligibility requirements and application process can be found on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

If you are a graduate from a recognized post-secondary institution within Saskatchewan, you may qualify for the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP). More information on the SINP can be found on the Government of Saskatchewan website.

Where can I find the most up-to-date Canadian immigration information?