Study Abroad FAQ's

Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about                  studying abroad!

Q: Who can go on a student exchange?

A: Anyone is eligible to study abroad as long as they have met the minimum requirement of 30 credit hours and an overall 70% average!

Q: How do I apply to go on an exchange?

A: The preliminary application for the study abroad program can be found online under the heading Apply. Once the online application has been completed students are required to hand in the necessary documents (also found online) by the stated deadline.

Q: Where can I go?

A: The University of Regina has partner agreements with schools all over the world; North America, Europe, Australia, Asia, and even some schools in Africa. The only limitation on what country/school you can go to is determined by the language of the country, and occasionally by faculty. Schools in France, Italy and Spain for example require that students have taken several language classes in order to participate in an exchange there. Some places like Japan, South Korea and Germany however have schools that do not require any previous knowledge of the language. For specific information please see our website page, Where Can I Go?

Q: What kind of exchanges are there?

A: We have several different exchange programs depending on the continent you choose. If you are interested in North America (Canada, U.S.A) we will send you through the National Student Exchange program (N.S.E - If you are interested in Europe, Asia, Australia or Africa we will send you through either the Student Exchange Program (S.E.P.) or the International Student Exchange Program (I.S.E.P - When choosing a school please note that the fees, as well as some of the required documents, for these programs vary and as such the application you submit will also be slightly different.

Q: How much does it cost to go on an exchange?

A: Fees for the Study Abroad program include:

-         Application Fee of $250 (for the SEP program) or $390 (for the ISEP Program) or $490 (for ISEP Dual Placement).

-         Tuition for 4 University of Regina Classes per semester Approximate cost of $3100 (cost varies by faculty).

-         Housing and Meal Costs (Approximately $4120 per semester).

-         Flights to and from your chosen school.

-         Any extra travel or shopping expenses.

-         Applicable visa fees

Q: Are there any scholarships I can get to study abroad?

A: Any student that does an exchange through UR International Study Abroad program will receive an application for a $1000 scholarship called the International Experience Travel Fund! There are also scholarships offered from the UofR that you can apply for and in some cases scholarships are also offered by the government of the country you choose!

Q: How many credits do I receive for going on an exchange?

A: How many credits you receive will be decided upon between you and your Academic Advisor before departure and will depend on what courses you register for at the host institution. Most students receive between 6-12 credits per semester abroad.

Q: Where do I live when I am abroad?

A: Every school has different living arrangements, however most offer either Dormitories on Campus or Off-Campus Apartments specifically for students. Some schools also offer the option to live with a host family. *Please note that it is not possible for students to organize their own living arrangements such as family, friends, or a private apartment.

Q: What happens when I arrive in the host country?

A: Upon arrival in the host country, Exchange Students will register with the International Student Office at the home institution and be shown to their living quarters by a staff member or fellow student. Orientation is usually held within the first week with classes beginning soon after. *For students studying a foreign language, a proficiency test will be conducted at orientation to determine what level of language class the student will enter.

Q: Who helps me if there is a problem while I am abroad?

A: The UR International team will be in contact with you throughout your exchange, however as we cannot be there in person your main support will be the International Student Office at your host institution. *Please note that in some countries the student is also required to register with the closest Canadian embassy or the local police department for safety purposes.