Co-op/internship/placement/practicum/field Work Permit

The U of R is the first to establish a cooperative education program in Western Canada. There are over 50 areas of study that offer students co-op education. U of R Co-op students together earned $10 million in 2017!

As an international student, you may be eligible for the Co-op program. You must first ensure that you are enrolled in a Co-op route in your program of study and receive a letter from the Co-op office before you can apply for a Co-op Work Permit. You must receive your Co-op Work Permit before going on a Co-op internship/work term.

Co-op work permits and off-campus work authorization

IRCC temporary policy change:

"From November 15, 2022, to December 31, 2023, you may not need to apply for a co-op work permit. You don’t need a co-op work permit to complete your co-op placement if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You have a valid study permit and we received your application for this study permit on or before October 7, 2022.
  • Your study permit shows that you’re authorized to work off campus.
  • You’re eligible to benefit from the temporary policy change to work more than 20 hours per week while class is in session.
  • Your co-op placement ends by December 31, 2023.

If your co-op placement ends after December 31, 2023, or if you aren’t eligible for the temporary policy change, you need to apply for a co-op work permit to cover the period after that date. You can begin your co-op placement during this period before you’re issued the permit. Any other employment you have won’t be affected."

For the most up-to-date information visit: Work as a co-op student or intern -

I want to...

Apply for a Co-op Internship at the University of Regina

Co-operative Education and Internship Programs are a plan of higher education that incorporates productive work experience as a regular and integral part of a student's learning process.

Contact the Co-operative Education Program Office for more information about how you can get involved Co-operative Education and Internship Programs at the University of Regina.

I'm eligible for the Co-op/Internship work permit?

Some study programs include work experience as part of their curriculum. You can apply for a co-op or intern work permit if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You have a valid study permit.
  • You are required to work in order to complete your study program in Canada.
  • You have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree.
  • Your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program.
For the most up-to-date information, visit Work as a co-op student or intern -

Apply for a Co-op Work Permit online

Apply online through IRCC's Website

Apply for a Co-op Work Permit by paper

Get the application package through IRCC's website

Apply for a Co-op Work Permit because it will/has expired

Contact the Co-operation Education Program Office to see if you need a new Co-op Letter

Apply online through IRCC's website

Get my Co-op/internship/practicum Letter

Your Co-op/internship/practicum Letter is issued to you and can be found in your Co-op acceptance package, signed by the U of R Co-op Recruitment Liaison Coordinator or by the Faculty.

Get my U of R Confirmation of Enrollment

You may obtain an Official Confirmation of Enrolment:

Step 1: Log in UR Self-Service 

Step 2: Go to Student

Step 3:Click on Student Records

Step 4: Document Requests

Document Types:

  • choose Confirmation of Enrolment

Email Address:

  • for current U of R students your email will autofill.


  • select the earliest term for which you want the confirmation and then select the option for 1, 2, or 3 terms. For example: If you select 202110 (Winter 2021) and “2”, then you will receive a confirmation of enrolment for 202110 (Winter 2021) and 202120 (Spring/Summer 2021).
  • You are able to order multiple documents in one request. For example, you can order a confirmation of enrolment and an official transcript.
  • Once you have completed your request, click Submit or Finish.
  • A Requested Documents box will appear with your request information included.
  • You will have 30 minutes to change your request, if needed, once it has been submitted.
  • The request then moves into the queue for processing and at each stage of the process the Status box will indicate the document’s progress.
  • When the Confirmation of Enrolment is available in MyCreds™ the Status will change to Available in MyCreds and you will receive an email directing you to the MyCreds™ website to sign in and access your document.
  • When you access the Confirmation of Enrolment in the MyCreds™ | MesCertif™ network you will be required to pay a $10 fee that will provide you with 90 days of access to share your Confirmation of Enrolment as often as you need.
  • If you should change your class registration(s) and need an updated Confirmation of Enrolment, go through the request process again and as long was the request matches your original request and is within the 90 days of your original request, there will be no additional charge.
This information can be found at: Registrar's Office


Get my U of R Unofficial Transcripts

Unofficial transcripts can be accessed in UR-Self Service. In the Student Tab choose Student Records and then Current Registration and List of Courses (Unofficial Transcript).

Frequently Asked Questions

I want to learn more about the University of Regina's Co-operative Education and Internship Programs

I have applied for my Co-op Work Permit. When can I expect to receive it?

Check the processing times to find out how long it takes process most applications. 

Do I need to apply for a co-op/ internship work permit, if I am required to participate in a mandatory co-op/internship/practicum/placement/field work?

If an international student is completing, or planning to complete, a Co-op Work Term, Practicum, Internship, Work Placement, and/or Fieldwork that is an integral component of their program, they will need to apply for a Co-op/Intern Work Permit and receive their Co-op/Intern Work Permit approval before the start date of their work term or placement.

Support letters are required for students to apply for their Co-op/Intern Work Permits. Some letters may be issued by the Co-op Office, while others may be issued by the student's faculty.

My Co-op work permit says "not authorized to work for any employer other than stated." What does it mean?

As per the IRCC website:

"As a co-op student, your co-op work permit might say:

  • you’re “not authorized to work for any employer other than stated”
  • your school is your employer

This is to identify you as a co-op student. It means you can work for any employer that’s accepted by your school’s co-op program."

Visit the IRCC website