Notice: COVID-19 resources, information and plans for current and upcoming academic terms. Learn more.

University of Regina Logo

UR International

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I an International student?

What is the application deadline?

Can I get transfer credits?

How do I make changes to my application?

How do I apply?

What happens after I have submitted an application?

Are there scholarships for international students?

What do I do once I am accepted?


Q) Am I an International student?

You are considered an international student if you have to apply for a study permit/visa to come and study at the University of Regina. If you were born in another country but have obtained a permanent residence card you should contact Enrolment Services about your application.

Q) What is the application deadline?

International students can see here regarding deadlines for applying to the University of Regina, especially for competitive programs. Our admissions team requires at least four weeks* to process an application once all the required documents have been received. It is important that international students give themselves enough time to apply for a study permit to ensure that you can start your studies on time.

Once you are granted an acceptance letter from the University of Regina it is valid for three consecutive semesters. This means that if you apply for Fall 2021 you can choose to study starting in Fall 2021 OR Winter 2022 OR Spring/Summer 2022 with the same acceptance letter. This ensures that if you are late obtaining your study permit you will still have a chance to come to the UofR.

**Processing times increase during peak months

Q) Can I get transfer credits?

Transfer credit is awarded at the discretion of the faculty or college you are applying to. Transfer credit may be given for up to two years of work at other accredited post-secondary institutions.  However, some programs may only give limited credit. Once admitted to the university, you can make a request to your faculty or college will evaluate your previous work and award transfer credit relevant to your program of choice. 

Students will need to submit an official transcript (in a sealed envelope, directly from the institution attended) and course descriptions in order to allow an accurate assessment of the courses). Transfer credits will not be considered without the official transcript or if the institution is not accredited.

Q) How do I make changes to my application?

If you have submitted an application and would like to make any changes, please contact us directly at or call us at 306-585-6260. Submitting multiply applications slows down your application progress. If you want to change your program, semester, address or pay the fee after your application has been submitted, simply email us.

Q) How do I apply?

Here are the steps to finish your application:

  1. Fill out the Online Application 
  2. Pay the $100 CAN application fee. There are 3 ways you can pay:
    1. Credit Card (phone our office: 1-306-585-6260, Toll Free: 1-855-683-2181)
    2. Flywire (if you do not have a credit card you can transfer funds to us HERE)
    3. Cash (come to our office (College West Room 127) to pay)
  3. Email us your documents in PDF format to
    1. High School Transcript (Year 10,11 & 12)
    2. Front and back page (if there is information on it) of transcripts from additional education after High School
    3. Your English Language Proficiency test (Click to see the list of ELP Options)
    4. Copy of your passport

Original documents will be required once you arrive in Regina. Please be sure to provide a certified English translation for all documents. To gain transfer credit you are required to submit College and University transcripts directly from the institution or in a sealed envelope. We will contact you by email within 1-2 business days after the application has been received.

Points of Note:

If you don’t have your ELP yet, that’s okay; we will issue you a Conditional Letter of Acceptance if you are academically admissible.

Once a decision has been made regarding your application, an answer will be sent electronically.   If you are accepted and would like to get the acceptance package mailed, there is a fee of $100 CAN. Please ensure to let the office know when you send in the application.

Q) What happens after I have submitted an application?

If you would like to see your application status online follow these two easy steps:

  1. Enter in your Login ID and PIN that you used when submitting your application here
  2. Click on the term you have applied for under the “Processed Applications” heading

If your “Application Status” indicates:

  • Incomplete; Items outstanding- we are missing required documents.  
    • Be sure to review “Requirements” on your "Application Summary" (at the bottom of the page). If the "Received" column is blank, it means we have not received the indicated document yet. A list of the documents and how to pay the application fee can be found here. Please send these documents to
  • Complete; Ready for review- we have received all your documents.
    • Please allow 2 weeks for processing from the most recent date indicated under the “Received” column.
  • Decision Made; your application has been reviewed.
    • The "Application Status" for students who have not met the ELP requirements will indicate “Complete; Ready for review”, until you have met the ELP. All students will be emailed their decision letter within 2 business days. The letter will be sent to your preferred email address that you gave on your application.

*Incomplete applications (except for missing ELP) will not be reviewed by our admissions team.

**Please note that applications generally take about 4 weeks to complete (once all the required documents have been received). Processing times increase during peak months

Q) Are there scholarships for international students?


This award provides up to $200,000 annually. $3,000 is automatically awarded to undergraduate students on a Study Permit who are applying for admission directly from a secondary school (or equivalent) into a direct-entry undergraduate program. Students must have an early-conditional admission average of 85.00% or higher and be enrolled in nine credit hours in the semester the award is presented.

For a list of scholarships, entrance scholarships and awards that require an application, click here.

Q) What do I do once I am accepted?

We know that you have lots of questions on what to do now that you are accepted. If you need a person to talk to, please contact us directly at:

Phone: 306-585-6260
In person at College West - Room 127