You are required to register for Fieldwork (KHS 400 - typically 9 credit hours; KHS 405 - typically 6 credit hours) and pay the regular tuition in accordance with the Policy for the Faculty of Kinesiology and Health Studies. The tuition is intended to partially offset the university's costs of administering the Fieldwork Program. In addition, it allows you to maintain your status as a full-time student while on Fieldwork. Tuition and fees are due as per the University of Regina General Calendar.

Registration Deadlines

  • Spring/summer and fall semester:  March 25 of current calendar year
  • Winter semester: November 25 of previous calendar year


Student Accident Benefit Plan

This is a plan whereby certain expenses that arise out of accidents and injuries sustained while participating in authorized University and related activities are paid for by the University. It is intended as a supplement to the Province of Saskatchewan Medical Care Insurance Plan (MCIC) and Saskatchewan Hospital Services Plan (SHSP) and not as an alternative to them.

Please refer to the following website for further explanation: http://www.uregina.ca/fs/students/accident-benefit-plan.html

Liability Insurance

The University of Regina General Liability Policy provides up to $20 million general liability coverage. This includes faculty members and "students while performing any duty which is considered regular or extraordinary studies."

Please refer to the following website for further explanation: http://www.uregina.ca/presoff/vpadmin/policymanual/fs/302005.html


Students are not permitted to accept remuneration for services performed during their Fieldwork placement. It is expected that Fieldwork students will be part of a process of mutual benefit; that is, the supervisor and agency assist and support the student in the learning experience and the student, by various means, can make a contribution to the agency. Students may receive reimbursement for expenses incurred in certain situations (e.g. use of public transportation or personal vehicles to attend meetings, meals and accommodations if appropriate, etc.).

Students residing in other communities may only accept funds from the agency to subsidise accommodation costs if it is within the agency's budget to provide it. This is an agreement made between the agency and the student. Provision of subsidization is not a requirement.


Your commitment to your Fieldwork agency is for a minimum of 15 weeks. You must negotiate time off, as you will not accumulate holiday time. Approval should be sought well in advance of finalizing your personal plans and ideally should be part of your interview so that the agency is fully aware of your intentions. It is within the agency's right to deny your request for time off other than what has been agreed to in your contract. Thus, you should be prepared for the eventuality of your request being denied. It is entirely inappropriate to tell your supervisor that you will not be at work for a period of time due to holiday plans.

Taking a Class

A student may enroll in one university class during the Fieldwork semester provided it will not impact on any obligations to the Fieldwork agency and a minimum program grade point average of 70.00% has been obtained. Only under special circumstances and with the consent of the agency will a student be permitted to attend classes during normal working hours. Please consult with the Assistant Dean (Undergraduate) or Academic Program Coordinator with regard to taking a class during Fieldwork.

Part-time Employment

Students are not permitted to work part-time (receive remuneration) at the same agency with which they are completing their Fieldwork requirement. Students are permitted to work part-time while registered in Fieldwork. However, part-time work must not interfere with the dates, times and duties within the Fieldwork agency. Any conflicts must be reported to the Fieldwork Co-ordinator immediately.

Site Visits

Most students will receive two or three site visits during the placement. In the case of students who are completing their Fieldwork in locations a significant distance from Regina, or in isolated areas, it is sometimes difficult to have a Fieldwork site visit due to prohibitive travel costs. In these cases, the Fieldwork site visits will be replaced by telephone calls.

The Fieldwork site visits serve a variety purposes. First, the initial visit is designed to ensure the student and immediate supervisor are fully aware of the philosophy and goals of the Fieldwork program and are operationalizing the plan of action to address the student's learning objectives. Second, the other visits are used to engage in discussions with the student and supervisor with regard to the student's performance. These visits will also be used for formal midterm and final appraisal purposes. Last, the visits demonstrate to the student and the agency that the Faculty of Kinesiology and Health Studies is truly appreciative of and values the commitment the agency is making with regard to student development.

As mentioned previously, these visits allow for a formal appraisal of the student's performance. Please ensure that both you and your supervisor have completed the necessary appraisal forms prior to the visit. It is not necessary to meet formally with your supervisor to review the appraisal forms prior to this visit. However, many agencies and students are finding this a useful approach since the visit can then be used to summarize the appraisal and discuss plans for the remainder of the placement or recommendations for continued learning following placement.

These visits will also serve the purpose of reviewing and modifying, if necessary, the student's Fieldwork learning objectives.

If You Are Leaving Regina

Finding Accommodation

The following will provide you with some useful information if you are leaving Regina for your Fieldwork placement.

Where To Look

  • Scan the classified sections of the newspapers of the city to which you are moving. The University and Public libraries have subscriptions to most major newspapers in Canada.
  • Check various university calendars for student residence/housing possibilities. These calendars are available at the University of Regina Library.

When You Are Looking

  • Check with the Fieldwork Co-ordinator to find out if any other students are going to the same city. You may be able to arrange for shared accommodation.
  • Before signing a rental agreement be sure that you have obtained all the information required to make a wise decision.

Once You Have Found Accommodation

  • Inform the main post office of your forwarding address to ensure that you receive your mail. When you return to Regina repeat this process.
  • Have the landlord provide you with all of the necessary telephone numbers to have your power/water/telephone connected if it has not already been done. Be sure to have these services terminated upon completion of your work term.
  • In the event of a problem arising between you and your landlord you may wish to call the tenant protection agency in your locale.

If you Are Leaving the Province

Drivers Licence and Vehicle Registration

The regulations vary with each province and country as to the length of time your Saskatchewan driver's licence, vehicle registration and insurance will remain valid. It is imperative that you contact the local issuing office in the province where you will be completing your Fieldwork and comply with their regulations. Choosing to ignore local jurisdictional regulations can result in serious legal and financial ramifications.

Health Insurance

To ensure medical insurance will be in effect while you are out of province, Saskatchewan of Health requires a letter from the student with the following information:

  • Purpose
  • Departure Date
  • Length of Placement
  • Return Date
  • Sask Health Card Number

Contact Saskatchewan Health directly for further information.

Labour Strike

The purpose of the policy is to avoid antagonism of either side involved in a labour dispute. To maintain our many successful Fieldwork placements in unionized organizations, our students must be strictly neutral in these matters. Labour disputes may be part of the experience and may provide an additional learning experience for students.

The following serves as a guideline should you find yourself in a strike situation. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Fieldwork Co-ordinator. As a student completing your Fieldwork placement you will not be a member of any union since you are not being paid. However, you may hold a part-time job and be a member of a union that goes on strike during your Fieldwork placement (e.g. the student works in the dietary department of a hospital and is completing their Fieldwork in a rehabilitation centre in the same health district).

  1. Student is a Union member

    Behaviour - Student to follow example set by Union leadership (student does what the Union does)

  2. Student is not a Union member

    Behaviour - Student is to report for work each day.

    • Student to consult with agency supervisor to discuss Fieldwork placement during labour disputes.
    • If allowed to enter premises, carry out assigned duties
    • If prevented from entering the premises (prevented from crossing picket line) do not argue, object or react in any objectionable manner. Student is to return to his/her residence and inform supervisor, by telephone, of the attempt to get to work.

Unless given specific alternative instructions by their supervisors, students are to follow the above steps each workday. If unable to attend, students are expected to begin, continue or complete (as appropriate) working on their Fieldwork term reports. It is expected that students will make up for hours lost during labour dispute.