Emergency Loans

The Emergency Loan Program provides assistance to students whose continued education at the University of Regina is at risk due to unexpected financial pressures.

Eligibility Criteria

You are eligible for an emergency loan if one of the following applies:

  • Full-time student (registered for a minimum of 9 credit hours)
  • Student attending a co-operative work placement
  • Student enrolled in the ESL program

With the exception of students in their first semester of study (either new to the University or returning after a minimum one year absence), applicants for an emergency loan should have achieved an average of at least 60% in their courses in the last completed semester. Applicants should be in good financial standing with the University of Regina (no funds owing to the University of Regina) up to the beginning of the term in which the emergency loan is being requested.

Students are permitted only one emergency loan in their academic career at the University of Regina.  The emergency loan must be repaid in the same term that it was borrowed in.


To apply, you must complete a short form which requires disclosure of financial need along with supporting documentation (i.e., bills and receipts).  Students will be given a brief interview.  There are different ways to apply, depending on how you are enrolled, as follows:

University of Regina Students

Students should make application to the Student Awards and Financial Aid Office located in the Administration-Humanities Building, Room 108.

Faculty of Education, Faculty of Social Work, Campion College and Luther College Students

If you are enrolled through Campion or Luther College or through the Faculties of Education or Social Work you are expected to access emergency funds through your respective College/Faculty before applying for support through the University of Regina Emergency Fund.

Faculty of Education:     306-585-4537
Faculty of Social Work:  306-585-4554
Campion College:          306-359-1231
Luther College:             306-585-5028

First Nations University of Canada Students

First Nations University of Canada students must make application through the Assistant Registrar at First Nations University of Canada 306-790-5950 ext. 3134.

International Students

International Students requesting financial support through this fund will be referred to the Manager of UR International.  Information and recommendations provided by UR International will be used as a basis for consideration.

UR International:        306-585-4017

Costs Covered

The following costs incurred by students are covered by the fund (this list is not presumed to be complete):  rent, mortgage payments, books, energy, power, food, transportation, basic telephone, essential clothing, drug prescriptions, emergency dentistry, eye wear, exceptional life circumstances (e.g., illness in family).

Costs Not Covered

Under most circumstances, the following costs are not covered by the fund: vehicle insurance, vehicle payments, vehicle lease payments, vehicle license plates (for students who do not have to commute to study), car repairs, cable television, credit card debts, exceptional long distance charges, Internet connection fees. Tuition fees, residence fees and other university related fees are not covered by the Emergency Loan fund. Students whose tuition fees are in arrears should contact the Financial Services Office directly to make arrangements for repayment.


Students have the right to appeal decisions regarding emergency loan applications to the Director, Enrolment Services or his/her designate.

Amount of Loan

In most circumstances, a student is eligible for a maximum loan of $1,000.

Other Options

If you are finding it difficult to plan your finances we encourage you to come and speak with a representative from Student Awards and Financial Aid to help you develop a plan to ensure all your expenses are covered.  They can also highlight award and bursary programs you may be eligible for as well as third-party funding/support options.

The Student's Union offers a number of services, including the Student Advocate who can assist you with financial and academic problems.