Faculty and Staff FAQ

1. What is the Duty to Accommodate?

The University of Regina is obligated by legislation to provide reasonable accommodations to students with disabilities up to the point of undue hardship. Undue hardship could be established in the following circumstances:
  • Risk to public safety
  • A financial cost so high that programming is at risk (entire institutional budget would be considered)
  • The accommodation unreasonably impedes other students learning
  • Lowering of academic standards

See the Canadian Human Rights Commission for more information.

2. I received an Accommodation Letter, but the student has not been in contact with me to discuss their needs in my class. How can I encourage students to talk to me about their accommodations?

Students are encouraged and expected to be active participants in the accommodation process. However, there are things you can do to foster communication with your students.

  • Include the suggested syllabus statement in your course outline.
  • Make an announcement in class encouraging students to speak with you regarding their disability-related accommodation needs.
  • E-mail the student directly to initiate the conversation.

3. Why do I receive some accommodation letters at the start of the semester, and others at various points throughout the term?

Although most accommodation letters are sent out at the beginning of the semester, you may receive some throughout the term. This may be for various reasons. All students registered Student Accessibility must request their accommodation letters before we can send these out to instructors. We do remind students to submit their accommodation requests early, however these may come in at any point in the semester. In addition, students may contact us with recent medical/heatlh-related issues and/or receive a new diagnosis throughout the semester, which can require implementation of a new or revised accommodation plan. Please note that accommodations are not retroactive, so any letters received midway through the semester are only to be implemented from that date forward.

4. I have a student who is consistently absent but requires a notetaker, what are my options?

A notetaker is not an excuse to stop attending class. Generally speaking, all students are expected to regularly attend class. On occasion, a student may have a medical condition which may cause repeated absences; however, this will generally be noted on the student's Accommodation Letter. The student maintains responsibility for making up all missed work. If a student is going to be missing several classes, they must notify you of this absence in order to continue receiving notes during such times.

5. How can I refer a student who is struggling in my class?

If you encounter a student who discloses a disability or who you suspect may benefit from the assistance of our office, please suggest they make an appointment with an Accessibility Advisor to discuss learning strategies. It is up to the student to follow-up with our office, should they so choose.

6. Do students have to provide documentation of their condition in order to be authorized for accommodations?

Yes. Students must provide acceptable, third-party documentation verifying their diagnosed disability, illness or injury in order to be authorized for academic accommodations.

7. Is it OK for me to ask the student about their disability?

No. The student is only obligated to declare their disability to the University through Student Accessibility. Once they have done so, that information is considered private and confidential. Some students may choose to discuss the nature of their disability with you; however, it is never appropriate to ask for that information.

8. Who do I speak with if I am concerned about accommodations and academic integrity?

Any concerns you have regarding academic integrity should be discussed with your Department Head, Associate Dean, or Dean. Student Accessibility may provide assistance in determining alternate ways to accommodate a student's needs while still ensuring that academic integrity is respected and maintained.