Notice: Important information about COVID-19 here.

Student FAQ

1. How do I know if I am eligible for accommodation and accessibility services?

Our office coordinates academic accommodations for students with disabilities. These include, but are not limited to:

  • physical disabilities, such as visual impairment, hearing loss, or mobility limitations;
  • mental health conditions, such as depression, anxiety disorders, or schizophrenia;
  • chronic health conditions, such as arthritis, or Crohn's disease; and
  • neurological disabilities, such as head injuries, attention deficit disorder, and learning disabilities.

2. How and when do I register with the Centre for Student Accessibility?

To register for services you must contact us to make an appointment. If you already have documentation of your disability, please bring this to your first appointment.

It is advised that you begin the registration process well in advance of your intended start date. The provision of academic accommodations will vary in complexity, and as such adequate time is required to make appropriate arrangements.

3. What are academic accommodations?

The Centre for Student Accessibility provides academic accommodations to students with permanent or temporary disabilities, health conditions, and injuries. These accommodations help to support educational equity and accessibility within the University of Regina.

When providing academic accommodations, the University must ensure that they do not interfere with the essential learning outcomes of the course or program and that they do not compromise the academic standards of the University.

4. What medical documentation do I need to provide when registering ?

To request academic accommodations you will need to provide verification from the appropriate professional.

Disability documentation must:

  • Be current (no more than five years old)
  • Include a diagnosis
  • Include a description of the functional impact of the disability or medical condition in the academic environment

5. Can instructors ask about the nature of my disability or request to see my disability documentation?

Instructors should not ask you about the nature of your disability or request copies of your disability documentation.

Once you are registered with our office and have provided us with your disability documentation, your Accommodation Letter will be emailed to yourself, your instructors, and support staff. This request outlines your eligible academic accommodations and any information required to implement them. You are responsible for ensuring your accommodation letters have been received.

If an instructor has questions about your disability or eligibility for accommodations, direct them to the office. If you have not registered with our office yet, let your instructors know that you plan to do so.

6. How do I change my accommodations?

Meet with your Accessibility Advisor to request changes. Requests for new accommodations should be made early in the term. Depending on the nature of the accommodation and the timing of the request, immediate implementation may not be possible. Additional documentation may be requested before changes to your accommodation plan will be made.

7. I am eligible for exam accommodations. Do I need to write my exams in the Centre for Student Accessibility

Not usually. Exam arrangements are the responsibility of the instructor and the supporting faculty. It is not always possible for an instructor or faculty to arrange exam accommodations, such as providing additional exam writing time or specialized equipment, in which case your exam will be booked in our lab.

8. Can I access services for a temporary injury like a broken arm?

We offer services to students with both permanent and temporary disabilities.