Working On Campus

You may be eligible to work on-campus. On-campus employment means working in facilities owned, leased, or rented by the U of R. Your employer may be the U of R, a student organization, or a private contractor operating within the boundaries of the campus. 

You can also visit the U of R’s Human Resources web site to check out the latest student jobs that are available on campus.

You can also visit the U of R's Career Centre for help on how to search and apply for jobs.

Declaration of Eligibility to Work On Campus (DEWC)

If you have applied for on-campus employment, there are certain steps you need to take to continue with the hiring process.

Step 1: Provide electronic copies of the following documents to

Step 2: Maintain your full-time student status.

Important: Failure to submit the required documentation will result in delays in obtaining letters of employment, as well as payment.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the conditions for working on campus?

To be able to work on-campus, you must meet all the eligiblty criteria set out by IRCC: Work on campus -

As per the IRCC website: "You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. You can’t work before your studies begin."

Can I work if I have a part-time course load in the final academic semester?

According to IRCC:

"If you were a full-time student in every semester of your program, but you’re studying part-time in your final semester to finish your required coursework, you can still work on campus."

For more information visit: Work on campus -

Registration Requirements for International Undergraduate Students

International undergraduate students must be registered full-time in each of the Fall and Winter semesters. During the Spring/Summer semester, international undergraduate students may register full-time, part-time or take a break.

Full-time registration for international undergraduate students is defined as:

  • registered in a minimum of nine (9) credit hours during each of the Fall and Winter semesters

To be eligible to work during a Scheduled Break, students must hold full-time status during the academic session before and after their regular scheduled break (e.g., student must register in at least 9 credit hours during the Winter and Fall semesters to be eligible to work during the Spring/Summer semester).

International Graduate students, please refer to the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research website for registration requirements.

Who can’t work on campus?

AS per the IRCC:

"You must stop working on-campus:

You can return to work only once you’re back to studying and you meet all the requirements to work on-campus."

Visit: Work on campus -

Where you can work?

As per IRCC:

“On-campus” means you can work at all the buildings on your school campus. If your school has more than one campus, you may only work at the campus where you’re studying in most cases.

You can work at other locations if

  • you’re working as a teaching or research assistant and
  • your work is strictly related to a research grant

In this case, you may work at a library, hospital or research facility associated with your school, even if they’re outside the campus. If you work at a hospital or other place where the protection of public health is important, you’ll need to have a medical exam, unless you’ve already had one.

For the most up-to date information, please visit: Work on campus -

How many hours am I eligible to work on campus?

For information on the conditions and hours for working on-campus, visit:Work on campus -