FLASHBACK: When Regina College opened the first women’s residence in March 1916

By Dale Johnson Posted: March 27, 2018 6:00 a.m.

A new wing at Regina College included a women’s residence that opened in March 1916.
A new wing at Regina College included a women’s residence that opened in March 1916. Photo: U of R Archives and Special Collections, 80-2 Photo 5

Among the historical highlights at the University of Regina and its forerunners during the month of March:

1916:  The new women’s residence officially opens, and the event is “one of the pleasant social functions of the season and was attended by many of the prominent men and women of the city as well as a number from other points in the province,” the Leader reports. Lieutenant-Governor Richard Lake and Regina College President Ernest W. Stapleford are on hand, and the evening includes a musical concert by the College Conservatory Choir.

1953:  The University of Saskatchewan decides to enhance music and arts programs at Regina College. “Plans have been formulated and partly implemented to strengthen the teaching of music and art at Regina College,” A. C. McEown, assistant to President W. P. Thompson, tells the Leader-Post. “With the completion of this program it is expected that the Regina College schools of music and art will become centres of great influence in the cultural life of the province,” he adds.

1957:  A new librarian is announced for Regina College. Prior to joining Regina College, Ruth Cordy had been a librarian at the University of Illinois. Originally from Montréal, Cordy earned a Bachelor of Arts at Queens University in Kingston, and then a Bachelor of Library Science at McGill. Before working at the University of Illinois, Cordy had been assistant librarian at McGill’s Commerce Library and was head of the law library at McGill for nine years. 

hp

Plans for the heating plant were announced in March 1965. Photo: Webb Studio; Clifford Wiens, Architect, Regina, SK; from U of R Archives and Special Collections, 80-6 Photograph 18

1965:  Plans are announced for a “modern A-frame” central heating and air conditioning plant that “will provide architectural interest as well as warmth to the new Regina Campus,” the Leader-Post reports.  “Two boilers will be installed immediately, a third added in 1970 and a fourth in 1975 when the final bay is added.”  

1970:  Regina Campus announces details of its open house for the community, to show off what the campus will look like in four years. The 11-day event is called “Campus ’74” and features tours of buildings, discussions of violence and pollution, a display of Indigenous art and artifacts, and performances of the play Oh What a Lovely War at Darke Hall. There’s a guest lecturer on astronomy, Dr. A. G. W. Cameron, professor of space physics at Belfer Graduate School of Science in New York – and the first person to receive a PhD from the University of Saskatchewan.

1976:  The Board of Governors of the U of R approves in principle a proposal for a feasibility study about setting up a school of journalism. The study, to cost $16,000, will look at the need for such a program, resources required, potential enrolment, and other journalism schools in Canada.

Related stories:

FLASHBACK: When the U of R launched co-op education in Western Canada

FLASHBACK: When the U of R led the way in employee recognition

FLASHBACK: March highlights in the history of the University of Regina