FLASHBACK: April highlights in the history of the University of Regina

By Dale Johnson Posted: April 24, 2016 9:00 a.m.

This picture from 1950 shows how crowded the library was before an addition opened in April 1954.
This picture from 1950 shows how crowded the library was before an addition opened in April 1954. Photo: U of R Archives.

The month of April means exam time at the University of Regina - and for some students April also marks the conclusion of their academic careers. April has also been a busy time for other reasons for the University of Regina and its forerunners, Regina College and the Regina Campus of the University of Saskatchewan.

Among the historical highlights during the month of April:

-1933:  In the annual report presented to the Board of Governors, an increase in enrolment was noted with 22 more students attending Regina College. “Enrolment stands at 504 as compared with 482 last year,” the Leader-Post newspaper reported. Today, enrolment is more than 14,000.

-1950:  Summer courses were announced, and they were clearly aimed at teachers. A total of five university classes were offered. These were: English 2, literature and composition; Education 19, methods in public school art; Education 37a, mental hygiene in the school; Education 60, teaching procedures in the elementary school; and Education 83a, guidance in the secondary school.  

As well, two short courses were offered: “Understanding Children’s Problems” and “Effective English instruction for grades five to ten.”

This summer, students can register in 1,238 lectures, labs, seminars, theses, practicums and directed readings through the U of R and its federated college partners, and they are offered in person, on-line, through video conferencing or a blend.

1933 Students
In April 1933, new figures showed enrolment increased by 22 students at Regina College. (Photo: U of R Archives)

-1954:  An addition to the library opened with the conversion of an art studio in the main College Building, and Dean William Riddell was on hand for the grand opening. The addition meant the library had 23,000 books and room for 90 students. Today, the Archer Library houses over 1,000,000 books and journals, and can accommodate 850 students.

-1964:  Approval in principle was granted for the establishment of a college of education and a four-year bachelor of music course at Regina Campus. Previously, a two-year certificate course in music was offered at the Regina Campus.

“It is difficult to set a figure on how much a musical degree is worth in dollars and cents to a musician, but in the field of school teaching alone, this could amount to $1,500 a year and up. In other words a school music teacher with a university degree will get almost a third more than one with only a diploma,” the Leader-Post said.

-1970:  Plans were announced for construction work on the Administration/Humanities Building to begin in July and be completed in 1972. The cost of the five-story building was $2,600,000.

-1978:  President Dr. Lloyd Barber announced the University of Regina would establish a school of journalism. 

“He said he hopes to go to the local community for a relationship like the one already in existence in the engineering and education programs where students work in their fields in the community as well as taking required courses at the university,” the Leader-Post reported.
 
Proud of our past

When the cornerstone of Regina College was laid - 1911

A bright past and even brighter future for Darke Hall

Campus architect and his connection to the design of the World Trade Center